Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
cj10488

Wierd Flourescent Green worm like thing on glass

Wondering if someone could identify this for me please

TIA,
James
Old 10-12-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Ribbon worm? Does it swim? Crawl? Move at all? Or does it seem to be more of a plant-like thing?

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:31 AM   #3
cj10488

It was crawling on the glass then it was gone and I havent seen it since..

It definetly wasnt a plant or anything..

James
Old 10-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If you see it again, I would try and remove it (at least to get a better pic/positive ID). If it is a ribbon worm - the little I know about them indicates that they are not "reef friendly". AFAIK, their diet consists mostly of other small invertebrates.

I'm not sure if you have, or have access to the book "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" - Vol. 3 - on pg. 91, there is a pic of a bright green ribbon worm (Parborlasia sp).

If you want to look up more about ribbon worms on the net, do a search for "Nemertea".

Also could be a Nematode ("round worm"):

http://www.reefed.edu.au/explorer/an...ematode_worms/

More info. on these here: >>Nematodes - Ron Shimek<<

HTH,
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
cj10488

I will just wait until I see it again and throw it in my Bad/Unknown Hitchhiker tank.. lol Its a 29gal where the mantis Shrimps have gone as well as a few brissle worms that I have found eating my shrooms as well as every stone crab that I can Catch without tearing apart my tank.. I kinda let them Fend for themselves in the 29gal and drop Krill in there every so often..

Thanks Again,
James
Old 10-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
I didnt know bristleworms would eat coral??!!!???!
Old 10-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum
I didnt know bristleworms would eat coral??!!!???!
The will only be a concern to corals if there are signs of necrosis or other damage. In most cases the bristleworm like other detrivors are simpley providing a neccessary cleaning service. They will not attack otherwise healthy specimens, just the ones that attract them though the scent of rotting tissue.

Cheers.
Steve
Old 10-15-2003, 02:51 PM   #8
cj10488

My mushroom wasn't rotting and he came over and was eating the hell out of it.. It might have been some other sort of bristleworm as it was not red It was a greenish grey color.. But was Identical to a bristleworm..

James
Old 10-15-2003, 03:09 PM   #9
steve-s

Have a look at the articles below. They may help in identifying your predator. If a common bristleworm it should not be a concern but there is always a chance....

Polychaete Annelid Identification, or “You Can Always Tell A Bristle Worm… by Ronald L. Shimek

The Large Worm Turns… by Ronald L. Shimek

The Worms Crawl In… by Ronald L. Shimek

Cheers
Steve

Tags
glass, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com