Wierd shaped slug looking thing????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clr_newbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found this weird looking blob on my rock this morning. It is hard to describe but my best explanation is it apart to be rather thin, its shape changes drastically as it moves but generally round, and as it moves it contours itself to the shape of the rock. I hope the attached picture can make some sense of my rather unscientific description.

Any insight is appreciated!!!

Attachments

• img_4519_mod_184.jpg
    img_4519_mod_184.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 114
Sounds like a flatworm. Most are harmless but a photo would be needed to give a more accurate ID. HTH

lol And now there is a photo. I still think it is a flatworm but I can't say which one. Not something I would be overly concerned about though.

Is it possibly some kind of nudibranch? Like lettuce....?

Fluff, the link you supplied nailed it. That is exactly what this thing looks like. Can a Polyclad Flatworm be harmful in my reef tank. Thanks for the ID!!!

Most of the time they are completely harmless. They are very cool but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it just as a precaution. Glad I could help. :D

Polyclads are carnivors and not considered harmless at all. Most have specific dietary needs and what they eat will depend on the species you have. If it looks something like Paraplanocera oligoglena then possibley an polyclad. A better photo would help.

FWIW, this is a lettuce nudibranch.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Polyclads are carnivors and not considered harmless at all. Most have specific dietary needs and what they eat will depend on the species you have. If it looks something like Paraplanocera oligoglena then possibley an polyclad. A better photo would help.

I agree they are carnivores. As I understand it, most are not harmful to corals but may eat clams, tunicates and bryozoans etc. But, I've been wrong before. This is why I said "most are harmless" and to "keep an eye on it just as a precaution". I never removed my larger flatworms and they never bothered a thing in my reef that was noticable. I haven't seen them in over a year so that would tell me they died out on thier own. Shame really since they are interesting to watch.

Bob Fenner's site says "All polyclad Flatworms are carnivorous, and specific about their prey. Most feed on sea squirts, bryozoans, small worms, crustaceans, or snails, but some are cannibalistic"

Seaslug forum says pretty much the same thing. (though this is the only place I've seen mention of eating corals :? ) http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=flatworm

These quotes I got from an article from Dr Ron Shimek.
"The free-living flatworms are a diverse group and we can expect to find some in our aquaria from time to time, often introduced on live rock or from some other such source, although most don’t live for long periods in our systems."
"Relatively little is known about the natural history of most free-living marine flatworms, and specifically the tropical forms are more poorly known than the temperate forms. Many, such as Pseudoceros and Kaburakia, are known to be predatory. Species in the former genus often eat sessile invertebrates, such as tunicates, while Kaburakia excelsans appears to feed on mussels and barnacles. The smaller acoels are often considered to be herbivorous, but there is anecdotal evidence that at least some of them are predatory on protozoans and invertebrate larvae."
http://web.archive.org/web/20020614014036/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/sep/wb/default.asp

Being specific doesn't necessarily scream "threat" to me but not everyone's preception of that is the same. I'd only be concerned if there were ornamental clams in the tank (maxima, crocea, etc), and then only if you see the worm on the clam. Most of these other food items I've seen listed you never see anyway. Innocent til proven guilty is my theory but if you feel like it's to much a risk, then by all means, remove it.

Fluff said:
As I understand it, most are not harmful to corals but may eat clams, tunicates and bryozoans etc.
A matter of perspective I guess. I would not call that harmelss... 8)

Cheers
Steve

Fluff said:
Most of the time they are completely harmless. They are very cool but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it just as a precaution. Glad I could help. :D

lol :lol: Steve, your relentless.
Again, that's why I didn't say all of them are harmless and I said to keep an eye on it. Most times they die off from lack of food. Hense why worry unless you see them causing a problem? :roll: Sheesh.

Steve-s

Looking at Fluff's link http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/inverts/polyclad_flatworms/pages/Paraplanocera-h03x_jpg.htm I have a high confidence the ID is Paraplanocera-h03.

Furthermore, I have not added any additional rock or coral in over a year and have seen no degradation in my corals and livestock. This leads me to believe this flatworm has been sustaining itself without an appetite for my reef inhabitants.

That being said, I think I will cautiously leave it be.

Thanks for all the insight guys!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom