Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-07-2003, 12:53 AM   #1
Wierd Snail with Trunk Urgent HELP

I was tring to get a crab out of my tank and happened to break off his leg.. Stone crab... Anyways 3 little snails came out of the rocks to devour the leg.. I cant seem to find out what kind of snails these are..

2nd question are these ok in a reef tank??? as i have pulled them out and have them in a cup until further notice.. Which BTW they like to climb out..

Thanks In Advance,
Old 10-07-2003, 01:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Those, I believe, are nassarius snails. They are great snails to have in a reef tank because they help keep the sandbed stirred. They spend a great deal of time just under the surface of the sand looking for something to eat. Although they are not herbivorous (they won't touch algae with a 10" pole), they will clean up any uneaten food and other detritus. You may notice, at feeding time, that they come out and start looking around for food. They are definitely keepers and may even breed in your tank. If you see little clear bubbles about 1/8" across on the glass with tiny little eggs in them, then you're about to be the proud papa of baby snails.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:54 AM   #3
Thx Logan j thats what I thought after I started looking quite a bit harder.. I placed them back into the tank.. And well I found alot more in there... Along with other things..

Thx Again,

BTW KUDOS to you

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com