Wierd Snail with Trunk Urgent HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I was tring to get a crab out of my tank and happened to break off his leg.. Stone crab... Anyways 3 little snails came out of the rocks to devour the leg.. I cant seem to find out what kind of snails these are..

2nd question are these ok in a reef tank??? as i have pulled them out and have them in a cup until further notice.. Which BTW they like to climb out..

Thanks In Advance,
James

Those, I believe, are nassarius snails. They are great snails to have in a reef tank because they help keep the sandbed stirred. They spend a great deal of time just under the surface of the sand looking for something to eat. Although they are not herbivorous (they won't touch algae with a 10" pole), they will clean up any uneaten food and other detritus. You may notice, at feeding time, that they come out and start looking around for food. They are definitely keepers and may even breed in your tank. If you see little clear bubbles about 1/8" across on the glass with tiny little eggs in them, then you're about to be the proud papa of baby snails.

Thx Logan j thats what I thought after I started looking quite a bit harder.. I placed them back into the tank.. And well I found alot more in there... Along with other things..

Thx Again,
James

BTW KUDOS to you

Back
Top Bottom