Wierd white tentacles. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonessurf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have these white strands that come straight out of my liverock only when I feed my fish. Any ideas on what this could possibly be? It's not like hairs. They clearly are a living substance. And you wouldn't be able to see them in a picture. They come from the pores in the rock though. Please help.

Not a brittle. I have those. These are an opaque white. Like jelly it seems. And like 2 inches long during the brunt of the feeding.

I don't know about it being tube worms. There's no structure that it comes out of. Just a pore in the rock.

I noticed those on my rocks as well. I've noticed that some of them eventually get the little white tube things. I wondered if the tubes are just down in the hole where I can't see them. I have a lot though.... mine seem to come out more at night (not with the lights out- just at night) but there are some in the day too. I'd love an actual id, too.

Sounds like possibly digitates. I have digitates in my tank they almost look like a fuzzy string that bobs around and sting your corals. I attached a pic of my digitates. hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 160
Sounds like possibly digitates. I have digitates in my tank they almost look like a fuzzy string that bobs around and sting your corals. I attached a pic of my digitates. hope this helps!
i've never heard of a "digitate", and i can't get your picture to work. can you try re-posting it?

Mine it turns out is a tube worm. Is there a type of worm that has just 2 tentacles that emerge from it?

Back
Top Bottom