WTH is on my Monti?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was thinking it could possibly be hydroid jelly, but doesn't quite look right to me?

Forgive the quality, this is the tiniest thing I've ever photographed and it was about 9" away from the glass.

Oh yeah, it is soft and closes it's "arms" when it is disturbed. looks to be attatched by a foot like an anemone. Should I remove it? Is it common for these things to be on my Monti?

I'm still sticking with hydroid - only 'cause I have no clue what else it could possibly be. Let us know if you get a positive ID.

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was a mini brittle star, but it is attatched to the coral by it's body. Like a foot on an anemone. The legs also retract when disturbed, also if you look at the one on the right, you see the legs come out of the top of the body, rather than the center, if not for all that I might be inclined to go with a star.

A boring tubeworm of some sort maybe? Kinda like the christmas tree worms that inhabit some porites? Can you tell if it's just attached to the surface of the monti or has it bored into the skeleton?

Thanks Mike, looks like that is what it is. I assume, it is kinda like the Christmas tree worms associated with porites....since it's a filter feeder, it shouldn't harm the monti.

Dude I have those all over my LR...10 arms and they do retract when brushed..wierd...

Yep, I would say I can count 50 of them. Never really paid attention, until RR posted this thread...now I have been on the search for them and cannot find anything yet...

BTW, I love your site..

I had one of those stuck to my glass the other day. Is it something i need to be concerned about or not?

Hydroids?

I thought those were hydroids? What are the pics of mine?? Why cant i get the pics on here I have never been able to do it i dont know why?

Here is a better pic, one cropped up on my green M. digitata...

barnacle.jpg

Re: Hydroids?

gooyferret said:
I thought those were hydroids? What are the pics of mine?? Why cant i get the pics on here I have never been able to do it i dont know why?

How large is the file size of the photos? There is a 100 kb file size limit for uploads. Have you tried uploading them to your gallery?

Back
Top Bottom