yellow sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samwise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got this yellow colored sponge on some live rock. From what I can understand, it should die in direct light., but it's not... in fact, it seems that there are some growing on another piece on the other side of the tank. Is there a way to get rid of them?

Sam

Exsposing the sponge to air for a few minutes will usually kill most of it. Yellow boring sponges can be rather stubborn and will often appear elsewhere within the tank. They are really only a concern with LPS corals and even then rarely a threat.

Cheers
Steve

Hmm... What if i got a hypothermic needle to inject air into it... would that work?

Sam

Injecting air might work but I doubt it. The exposure to air needs to affect the whole sponge. With nuisance sponges, they tend to be a little more resiliant than the more commonly known decorative sponges sold at the LFS. More often than not, the nuisance species can linger for years.

dralarms said:
How do you tell if it's a yellow boring sponge or just a yellow sponge?
Boring species will commonly grow encrusting as apposed to upward and outward. They literally coat an area much like cyano would. When growing on coral species, it's commonly just below or near the crown but the growth pattern is usually restricted to the shaded area's and generally gains a bit of thickness.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom