Yet another ID needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironmanxl1

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's on two of my rocks and seems to grow daily.
idme001.jpg

idme002.jpg

What are those little yellow things? They are the size of a grain of rice.
idme003.jpg

Theres a snail dead center. Is that a whelk? is it safe to keep?
idme007.jpg

idme008.jpg

I have no idea on the first one. Could be a sponge. :?:
The yellow one, from what I can see, looks like a sponge as well.
The snail certainly looks like a welk. I'd get rid of it. I've had one for a long, long time and just recently caught it killing another snail.

Wow... I was about to respond and say, "No, that's a Nassarius!" but knowing that Fluff knows her stuff, I went googling and discovered the snails that came with my LR are apparently whelks (which I'd up til now never heard of). I thought they were Nassarius all this time. Here's a write-up I found that points out some differences:
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/whats_a_whelk.html

Ok so a question about these.. I think I have them, I got a clam from someone for cheap and I dropped it in, looked great! woke up and it was GONE everything but the shell.. so I assume this is what I have, but how do you get rid of them? I have tons of them :(

Hope you dont mind me posting pics to see if this is what it is :( Not trying to steal your post though :)

any ideas on how to get rid of?

img_415082_0_06d226238c435f1e5c9550601f4f20fc.jpg

img_415082_1_5e1660442b02947c6e25684dfc93c32f.jpg

img_415082_2_a5034f23e5e2ad786e03185e50899548.jpg

img_415082_3_4a882188b076d9b4584db888c7004279.jpg

img_415082_4_a48760c668c56f1cfe1d1eda8ee07170.jpg

i don't think they are welks. welks have a tattoo-like pattern on their "trunks". maybe someone else will know more.

Hmm weird, anyone know why I woul dhave a clam dissapear like I have? I didnt know why he went poof but then when I read this I thought maybe thats what I had :(

I don't know what type of snail that is. Do they generally stay on the glass? What type of clam did you have disappear?

Well, from my searching, not all welks have the "tatoo pattern" and these can still be welks. There is a species that is lighter in color (wish I'd have kept the site), that feeds almost exclusively on bivalves. I can't say for sure this is what you have but, when in doubt, remove them. If you have a sump maybe you could put them there. Offer them some meaty items and see if they take it. If not, maybe they are some type of conch. I wish I could give you a more positive ID but, I've never seen these snails before. Looks like they each have their own/different shell pattern.

Alright I will start removing them, thank you for your help!

I am actually about to change sumps to one with a built in refugium and upgrading to a much better skimmer, from an aquaC to a aerofoamer 624, and a sump about 3 times as large ( water capacity size)) because of the refugium.

Thanks again I will try tog et them out and see if they are the bad guys.

Back
Top Bottom