Zoas spiting out brown slime???!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adio800

Aquarium Advice Freak
One type of my zoas are spiting brown slime looking stuff out of there mouths?! I'm freaking out what is it!?

If its stringy probably excrement and nothing to worry about but if it seems to be a bit more constant and not very substantial maybe expelling zooxanthellae, how long have you had them?

Ita stringy dark brown and maybe a week.. But they spit it out then open fully

I think palytoxin is secreted like mucous... only a guess, mind you. I've never heard of it being spit out, or people would be more aware that they've been exposed. I know the secrete it in greater quantities when freaked out.
On a side note, I thought my BTA was pooping last night. Looked closer, it was an extremely gutsy amphipod dodging tentacles. LOL

Pretty much any cnidarian (coral, anemone, sea pen, jelly fish, etc) that eats solid food through a mouth will occasionally ooze out some brown slime. It's the downside to only having one digestive opening. We vertebrates are so spoiled. Everything is one way. LOL

Back
Top Bottom