10 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronmwolford

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New tank set up!

Aquaeon Quietflow 20
Gravel Substrate
Silk/Plastic Plants

Stock:
Black Skirt Tetras x3
Ghost Shrimp x5
Mystery Snail x1

Soon to be added:
Dwarf Gourami x 2

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• Aquarium.jpg
    Aquarium.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 176
Only add one dwarf or they will fight. There cousins of the beta and do not tolerate others of there kind in such a small tank. One would be good. I would add more tetras too.

You would be good after that and I love your gravel

I do not recommend skirt tetras for a 10 gallon. They get surprisingly large and IMO a 10 gallon does not offer enough space for them. You could easily do a smaller species of tetra though such as neon tetras.

I also agree about the gouramis. I would only do one.

Mollies are brackish and get really big, but Platys will work then I would be good

Mollies aren't truly brackish but they can live in a range of water from freshwater to full salt. Most commercially available Mollies are from fish farms in Florida which means they are raised in soft freshwater. While you don't need to add salt, all livebearers do appreciate a little hardness in their water. I add a small amount of crushed coral to my tanks to accomplish this because my water is so soft.

Mollies aren't truly brackish but they can live in a range of water from freshwater to full salt. Most commercially available Mollies are from fish farms in Florida which means they are raised in soft freshwater. While you don't need to add salt, all livebearers do appreciate a little hardness in their water. I add a small amount of crushed coral to my tanks to accomplish this because my water is so soft.

Ahh, I've always read they turn brackish when they get older

Ahh, I've always read they turn brackish when they get older

Not that I am aware of, they are just highly adaptable to their environment. For instance I have some Poecilia Velifera that are only about 4-5 generations removed from the wild. The originators of this strain were collected in a salt water cenote near Puerto Aventuras in the Riviera Maya system, those fish were adapted to fresh water and every generation since have been fresh water with out any issues.

Back
Top Bottom