55 gal brackish dragon goby tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. I had mollies first and then brought the dragon home. After a few weeks in the FW tank, he just wasn't looking good. So I did some research, bought a new tank, moved him and the mollies over to brackish. Then got really interested in brackish water fish. So found a Columbian to put in there. He was very in happy and so more research and lots of digging, they like company of their own! So got another one. They were half the size they are now. Found a 55 on CL upgraded, and decided, after a LOT of research to get some chromides to help with the mollie infestation! And since I have always wanted a puffer a did more research, made sure I had a good snail infestation in my 10 gal planted and got the F8. I keep the brackish water on the low end of the salinity scale. Everyone has been doing great. I just gave away about 15-20 of the bigger mollies that I had before the chromes arrived. So now I only have about 8 mollies in there.

Thats similar to a problem I had with my guppies....those things can have 3 more batches of babies AFTER they are separated from any males...I was over run with them...I tried separating males from females but the baby males were already getting my females pregnant before I could even tell if they were male or female!!! Ughh!!

My dragon goby is about 14-15 imches long. He's about 5-6 years old. No one bothers him at all. He's kind of awnry now in his older age. He used to swim and rub against me when cleaning his tank so tiny and curious. Now, he headbutts my gravel vac and hand all flared up,territorial. I pet him when he's not looking LOL

Yeah thats funny....mine is too...he isnt mean to anyone except the fish net and gravel cleaner...lol...he latches on to the fish net like a pit bull and even shakes his head back and forth like a dog would. ..lol....but he doesnt even bother a baby guppy...he is so funny...lol

All mine likes to do right now is hide in his mountain cave. I know he's still there because the sand piles keep shifting!

Its easy to see when mine is rearranging bcuz he looks like a snow blower in there when hes is throwing sand everywhere!

Yes, mine makes a complete mess everywhere! Once he starts, he doesn't stop and then the filter gets filthy and water is dirty because the filter is dirty and I have to clean it all out. He's messy like a baby. Right now he just dug out the entire side of the tank and I have a big dirt pile 3/4 way down the left side now since he dug the right side out and it's like 5 inches tall, I swear. What a mess. All so he could squeeze between the cave I made him and rocks that are in front of it and he could lay on the glass on the bottom of the tank instead of the nice sand he has. I guess he's spoiled and never satisfied with what he has. ha! He's cool. I wonder how you know if they are boys or girls ever?

Have no clue. I tried to plant mine... Epic failure. I tried plastic plants. As long as it's tied down with a stone, not so bad. They move quite frequently though.

And why do they like to wriggle and squirm into the smallest spaces when you have nice comfy spaces provided???

I have plants, but has been trial and error with them. Most luck with vals, crypts, and hygro. Others didnt root well enough and end up floating.

Yeah I dont know how u tell their gender....you would assume that with a 23 inch long monster that their parts would be prevalent but I really dont know what/where to look for...lol...I just call mine a he...he is too much of a butthole to be a girl...lol
Regarding the plants....I am tryin desperately to keep a few plants alive and anchored and I've came to the conclusion that this is a cruel territorial game between dragon and myself....lol...its almost like he is thinking "ur not the boss and this is not ur home and I dont want that crap in here"....he destroys them and uproots them as fast as I can plant them....ive tried anchoring them several different ways band and dragon always sabotages my efforts..lol...just like a 2 year old child..lol

My dragon goby is about 14-15 imches long. He's about 5-6 years old. No one bothers him at all. He's kind of awnry now in his older age. He used to swim and rub against me when cleaning his tank so tiny and curious. Now, he headbutts my gravel vac and hand all flared up,territorial. I pet him when he's not looking LOL
I just caught the age of yours and mine is around the same age...but mine is 23 inches I wonder if the males are larger than the females? You may have a female if thats the case...

Back
Top Bottom