55 gal brackish dragon goby tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, awesome tank! How old is your goby, how long is it? My son has been asking for one and I'm thinking its time.

Wow, awesome tank! How old is your goby, how long is it? My son has been asking for one and I'm thinking its time.
Thank you!! Ive had him close to 3 1/2 years and he is currently 23 inches long... I hope you are prepared to have an atleast a 55 gallon tank...we started with a 30 gallon and have had to upgrade twice already. Currently his tank is 4ft long and he is half the length of it...im not sure how much bigger he will get or if I will have to eventually get a larger tank. I havent found much info on them or how big they can get. He is an awesome fish though and my tank setup definitely revolves around my baby!! Lol

I'm definitely interested in this fish and I know how it goes as far as upgrading tank size. We started out with one 10 gallon, now we have a 55 tall, a 55 like yours, a 29 and a the original 10 that started this mess and they are all up and running. With yours being as big as he is what would you consider to be a good tank mate for it?

I'm definitely interested in this fish and I know how it goes as far as upgrading tank size. We started out with one 10 gallon, now we have a 55 tall, a 55 like yours, a 29 and a the original 10 that started this mess and they are all up and running. With yours being as big as he is what would you consider to be a good tank mate for it?

Good deal! Right now his tankmates are 7 celebes rainbowfish and 7 guppies. I have been looking to add something else but im being very selective because I dont want anything too agressive for my monster...lol...I was wanting an f8 puffer but I am thinking its too much of a gamble due to their aggression. Others that I am currently considering are bumblebee goby and orange chromides...I will update you as to how that works out for me. ;)

Please let me know what you end up doing. I've only been able to find one at Walmart of all places. He will start out in the 29gallon witch houses 5 guppies right now and will eventually be rehomed in a 100 gallon once we move. I would also like to see a video of that monster swimming around........

Please let me know what you decide to go with. I've been only able to find a few of them at Walmart. He would start off in a 29 gallon that currently houses 5 guppies, he will be rehomed in a 100 gallon once we move. I would love to see a video of that monster swimming around..... Thanks for helping my son to convince me!

Wow!

Always thought these were so cool. He's scary big lol! He looks like a prehistoric (sea) monster.

That is a great pic of him coming out of the rocks!

I had one long ago but it died, then I found out more about them and decided I had better not get another one :blink: too big for my community fish tank.

Yeah I knew NOTHING about him my brother bought him and he had to move so he dropped him into one of my tanks almost 4 years ago. He was no bigger than a cigarette....now I am crazier about him than my 3 year old Akita (dog) lol...im gonna try to upload a short video of him...bear with me....lol

Never could upload my video but if u go to YouTube and search "55 gal brackish dragon tank" it should be the first result. ..if not my username is 05mjdodson. ... update I have added 6 bumble gobies and 1 f8 puffer....everybody seems to get along just fine...the f8 doesnt attempt to mess with dragon so that worked out perfect!!

Hey just found your thread. Awesome dragon. Mine is about 1/2 to 1/3 that size, had him almost a year now. He lives in a 55 brackish tank with some mollies, 3 chromides, and an F8 puffer. All get along great! What do you feed yours? Anything special? I have read they are scrounges, but I still toss in some shrimp pellets and algae wafers. The whole tank gets a mix of flakes, chiclid pellets, frozen mussels and blood worms, dried blood worms, and I toss a few small snails in every few days for the puffer, I also have a few MTS as cleaners.

Thanks!! Yeah I fed mine nothing but algae discs, shrimp pellets and flake food for the first 3 years before realizing one of his favorites are brine shrimp. I just buy the frozen cubes....ive recently discovered he will also eat the frozen bloodworm cubes that I got for my puffer. How aggressive are the orange chromides. ..I wanted to try them but was unsure of how they would get along with dragon an f8 puffer, 7 celebes rainbowfish and 4 guppies....

They actually only pester each other! I got them to help keep my mollie population under control, to eat the baby fry if they can catch them. I think I have one tiny fry running around but it's hard to find. They leave everyone else alone. My puffer will even hang out with them. The chromides will hang out with anyone so far. The research I found was that they were pretty peaceful but would eat smaller fish (especially fry) and they don't get very large.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-3133289633.jpg
    image-3133289633.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 134
  • image-1493031941.jpg
    image-1493031941.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2491834489.jpg
    image-2491834489.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 126
  • image-1114164008.jpg
    image-1114164008.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 122
In the second would be the F8 and two Columbian catfish (aka black fin shark catfish).

Back
Top Bottom