A beautiful alternative to fragile tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
The Columbian Tetra, a much tougher customer and just as beautiful as any Neon Tetra. Its
An easy fish to keep, and often overlooked. It would take 6 or 7 neons to equal the size of one full sized Columbian. The pictured Columbians are of my 4 y.o. school. They cost a staggering $1.99 per fish. They are very durable. I keep them In moderately hard water, with different varieties of New World and African cichlids. A 29 gal. Tank would easily accomadate a school of 6 to 9. One of the most common complaints of new members are troubles with Neon Tetras. Columbians are virtually the same color as Neons, much bigger and IMO a better fish.

Attachments

• 20170904_105455.jpg
    20170904_105455.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 102
  • 20170904_105204.jpg
    20170904_105204.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 102
They are pretty fish sharp looking and look nice with a black or dark background. I really like the Congo Tetras too in a big tank with a nice size group!

Thanks AutumnSky, i wanted to show new fish keepers an example of a sturdy and pretty entry level fish. Maybe a better choice than the usual fragile ones newbies have trouble with.

That is a really nice plan to offer additional support of the info a person gets at the lfs.

I have been told and heard others told the most terrible things, not to get me wrong there are a bunch of great water keepers with good knowledge at stores, just 10-20 others which don't know for every one who does.

Have you found these guys to be at all nippy to each other or other fish or do you have a good ratio to keep them happy? Tetras often chase each other around which is usual.

What temp /parameters do you keep them in? I just checked at live aquaria and it says 10G min. [edit just read the narrative at LA and it says 20G min. there] I think that is a too small minimum for that size and active fish and a shoal of them, what do you think having them in your tank?

Yea those are slick. If I ever need to get some more fish, ( through god forbid disease or old age) that's a great choice. They got kind of a tuna profile to them

Columbians aren't very nippy. A school of 6 is a good start. 8-10 is better. Once a school is established a dominant male will emerge, claim a territory and become solitary. His colors will be the most vivid of the school. The rest of the Columbians will hang loosely in a group until evening, when they tighten the group and school around the tank. Occasionally an up and coming male will challenge the dominant male. Usually no injuries result. As for water parameters, temp. 74-79, ph 6.8 -8.0. My water is moderately hard, ph 8-8.2. As for tankmates, just about anything. Just nothing large enough to eat them. I have never seen them attack other fish. My Columbians are currently swimming with firemouths, a green terror juvenile, and an assortment of moderately agressive African cichlids. The Columbians are very closely related to Pirahna. One can tell by their shape and they actually have tiny teeth. Years ago Columbians were expensive. Evidently they can be bred in captivity now making them affordable.

Back
Top Bottom