Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

A few pictures

Here's a few pics of my current setup. First tank is my 33 in it's current setup. More will follow. Hope you enjoy them.

These pictures were taken with my phone as I've been trying to save up for a new camera but keep spending those savings on fish related items.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The next few are older ones from when I first got the angels and yellow lab.

20 gallon when first set up:

Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #3

Florida gar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-108499333.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	82968  
Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wow are your Angels getting along with the Yellow Lab? I thought it was inadvisable to be mixing the SA cichlids with Africans due to different pH's and temperaments? And, I'm not quite sure about those Penguin Tetra too... I would think the Lab would bully them?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Love the Yellow Lab.. They are so beautiful....
Rio 2500 Pump
Bags101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Gar seems to be doing well KRAKEN....
Rio 2500 Pump
Bags101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Wow are your Angels getting along with the Yellow Lab? I thought it was inadvisable to be mixing the SA cichlids with Africans due to different pH's and temperaments? And, I'm not quite sure about those Penguin Tetra too... I would think the Lab would bully them?
They get along just fine. Haven't had an issue with the penguins, I'm more concerned about the 2 tiny little rummynose tetras I put in there with the penguins but they're doing great and the lab pays no attention at all to them.

I run angel parameters in the tank. The lab just has to deal with it. Low PH and soft water isn't going to kill him.

It is inadvisable I'll give you that and I don't advise it either unless your willing to risk your fish lol. I've done this with three separate tanks and have never had a problem. The angels are actually fairly aggressive fish but do not display that aggression unless breeding or provoked. If breeding they WILL off the yellow lab fairly easily. First time I did this (2 angels and one yellow lab) the angels were the boss and mr. yellow always steered clear of them. Why they were the boss will be clear after I explain round three.

Round two was the same.

Chapter 3: Fish Are Not as Dumb as They Seem

Now this does not work with all fish. Some are smarter than others and some have an easier temperament to break. My experience with labs is they are easy to condition. The fact that he is alone in there plays a big role as well.

The knowledge in layman's terms: Yellow lab mean = lab harassing other fish.
The problem: Potentially stressed out and/or dead fish. No fun for anyone in there.
The solution: Got him as a juvenile and The wrath of god

I created his environment, I change it, remove things, mold it to my liking, I introduce life, I remove life.... in short, to him, I am god lol. Every time I see him chase any other fish around I'll stick my arm in the tank and chase him around a bit. If I can catch him with my bare hand I do. If he tries to hide in his cave I flip it upside down for a while. With him I've had to do this approximately 20 times, now he doesn't chase anyone anymore.

Hes a food hog as well, darts around, scoops everything up and doesn't give the others a chance. All I do now is stick my finger in the tank and he stays away, giving the others who don't fear my almighty finger to gather around it and have a feast lol.

I've broken him. Now instinctual traits can always come back but so long as he remains the only cichlid in there I should be ok.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

A few more.

Buddy finally decided to make an appearance.

His amigo sleeping upside down in the plants again.

Now these don't really do those speckles justice but seems like it's as good as it's going to get.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Le pleco

Tags
pictures

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com