A very long way from Guppyman, but I am getting better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been having a horrible time trying to photograph my fish. I use a Sony Cybershot. I was blaming the camera but as of late I've gotten a little better with some okay shots. So I guess it wasn't the camera. Hopefully I will improve more in the future. Guppyman's shots are amazing.....better than alot of shots I've seen in mags and books, IMO. Anyway here are my latest shots that I am quite proud of. Just don't look at Guppymans before looking at mine, LOL!

Yes, Guppyman's pictures are amazing! Yours are nice too. What kind of Sony do you have? I have the DSC-F717. When I do get a good fish picture, I don't know why, or what I did, because I think I'm doing the same thing when I get a bad pic. So it's kind of surprising when I get a halfway decent pic! I guess it's time to read the instruction manual again!

Your pictures are very nice! They are all in focus and the white balance and color look good. You got a nice close-up of the cory's barbels! That's a nice sharp shot.

Thanks An t- iasg!

I checked out your gallery and you have some nice shots yourself.

My sony cybershot is a DSC-P92. My shots started getting a little better when I stopped using my zoom feature. When I was zooming in the shots were always extremely blurry. And it also seems to help if I make sure there are no bright lights/sunlight getting in the room when I try to take the shot. As far as my camera settings....I know I need flash but which type of flash seems to come down to luck. I have three kinds of flash settings available and I usually play around and use all three. I don't have any real grasp of which type of flash is the "best" for photographing the fish. I have tried taking notes but no flash setting stands out as "the one" that gets the best shots.

They are great shots....and do realise that when pros do it, they usually have special photo tanks, top-end cameras, and choose backgrounds specific to each shot/fish....so shots like yours are pretty impressive considering you are not a pro.

Pics look great Talloulou...it took me quite a while before I was able to take a pic wihout it looking blurry, washed out and either too dark or too light.

Keep up the good work. :)

I especially like the third pic - the one of the bigger severum. The markings around the mouth and eyes are in such sharp focus - as are the rays in the fins.

Check out the gallery of Verse914. Simply amazing! Most of his pics were taken with a Sony Cybershot.

My biggest problem is avoiding the reflection of the flash on the fish' scales that results in a washed out image.

well.. i have a sony cybershot too. if i were to get another camra id get something with a bigger optical zoom, because digital zoom makes it all blurry. good camra for just like, people pics

QTOFFER, i had stumbled upon verse914's gallery a few weeks back. and the pics were jaw-dropping.
i almost thought he paid the fishes to become his models...

Photo Skills

Hi. I know that people like to say that it's the photographer's skills and NOT the equipment that yield great results. Not true. My shots were pretty awful while using a point and shoot. The move to the 10D enabled great improvement, overnight. Also, most people don't realize that I might invest many hours and hundreds of images to get one pic. AND, I can pick apart ANY of my photos that you think are so great. Most have major flaws. But, I have learned from my mistakes and am getting ready to enter a new phase of aquatic photography. I think you will see a major improvement in all my photos, going forward. Your pics are fine. Practice makes perfect. I appreciate all of your kind words. - Frank/Guppyman®

Very nice pictures. I also like the third one the best. I try to take pictures of my fish, but I am used to using a Maxxum 35mm, so I have to get used to my wife's digi cam. Right now, mine are wonderful pictures of animated blurs. Nothing like yours. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom