Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Advice on my new tank

Hi all, I'm a newbie(only my second post). I have my 55g set up for about 4 months now and everything is going good..My water test are all good and the fish are active and seem fairly happy. Just wanted to post a photo and get peoples opinions/advice on my set-up. I know it's not to everyones taste especially seasoned pros but it's a joint venture between me and my 12yr old daughter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6296 modified.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	132095  

Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I'm not a big fan of the colored plastic but I understand and appreciate the effort to put it together, especially at the beginning. That being said, it looks good and you have done a nice job in setting it up, much better than my first efforts were. it's nice to see you working with your daughter in this. It's always good to start a new aquarist to the hobby. What are your plans for the tank as far as fish?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_AF View Post
I'm not a big fan of the colored plastic but I understand and appreciate the effort to put it together, especially at the beginning. That being said, it looks good and you have done a nice job in setting it up, much better than my first efforts were. it's nice to see you working with your daughter in this. It's always good to start a new aquarist to the hobby. What are your plans for the tank as far as fish?
Hi Retired_AF, thanks for your reply. When i first set it up i wanted lots of colour but my plan is to eventually plant it and let the fish provide the colour. I will be removing the terracotta pots soon(possibly replaced with smaller pots) as i think they are too large. They have air stones inside them hence the reason why they are placed where they are. I wouldn't exactly say 'working with' more 'working for' my daughter on this one. She just googles pics of tanks and fish and tells me what she wants, of course not understanding the cost and compatibility issues involved..I currently have a community set-up with 2 Mollies, 2 Platies, 2 Swordtails, 1 Columbian Tetra...I intend to add more Columbians, Cory Cats, Bolivian Rams, Dwarf Gourmais, Cardinal or Neon Tetras or some Guppies(love their coluors)and a Bristlenose Pleco. Not going to overstock of course....Ian
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not the biggest fan of plastic either BUT I think you did an awesome job with it, I like it
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cheers, it's a work in progress. Going to get rid of some of the plants and the pots..Always looking for new ideas...
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Hi all, I'm a newbie(only my second post). I have my 55g set up for about 4 months now and everything is going good..My water test are all good and the fish are active and seem fairly happy. Just wanted to post a photo and get peoples opinions/advice on my set-up. I know it's not to everyones taste especially seasoned pros but it's a joint venture between me and my 12yr old daughter!
I think that the tank looks great - and that you're working with/for your daughter on this project
The tanks that I have put together with my son feature orange gravel and volcanos with airstones in them...
If my 12 year old self had been allowed to decorate a tank, it probably would have had a zebra or punk theme!
I say - go for the guppies!

Susan
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Susan, always nice to get other peoples opinions/advice, especially if they are compliments!!...Ian
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #8

Smile

I agree with going with guppies! They are so colorful and peaceful.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsaj1210 View Post
I agree with going with guppies! They are so colorful and peaceful.
Cheers and welcome, yeah i have a soft spot for the ould guppy. Trouble is, can't seem to keep them alive. Have platies,mollies,swordtails,cichlids,tetras..no problems. Could be an inbreeding issue with my lfs supplier??. How is your set-up going. Any fish yet??
I read your posts on filter media, are ya happy with your set-up on it?...Ian
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #10

So far I'm waiting for my 125 gallon to move my pacu in. And I might of bought an used aqaupod 24 gallon that I have no clue what I'm doing with it yet but it was just a great deal. But back to guppies. It might be a bad blood line. My besties got guppies and they all died with in a month of each other. Their offspring were fine though. We were under the impression it was do to inbreeding. But we weren't sure.

Tags
advice, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com