Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2007, 03:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Algae Eaters

I took some pictures of my SAE. Then I was at my friend's office. He has the CAE I gave him a while back. The thing is huge. It's 7" long and it pushes the Clown Loaches out of the way.

A very brave Dwarf Crayfish actually chased off this big guy.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice, clear pics. I still have difficulties telling the difference between SAE and CAE at the fish store. From your pics, the most apparent difference seems to be that the black line runs unbroken from tail to nose in the SAE and from tail to eye in the CAE. Is this noticeable in juvenile specimens, and are there any other differences that you could point out?

How long did it take for the CAE to reach 7 inches?

Old 12-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The CAE is a suckermouth fish. That is the most defining characteristic. The SAE as no apparent sucker for it's mouth. What most people have problems distinguishing are the Flying Fox and False Siamensis when compared to the true SAE. This page has some drawings about the differences.

The only real way I can tell the difference is to look at the black line and fins. The true SAE line goes all the way through the end of the tail. The False Siamensis does not. The Flying Fox will have coloring on its fins, and the true SAE will have clear fins other than the ribbing.

There used to be a better website with the differences and real pictures. I think the False also has a suckermouth. The SAE has only two whiskers coming from the top of his mouth. The Flying Fox has four I believe. I have a store near me that labels them Flying Foxes, but they're SAEs. There are 30+ there at the store. I should sell them if they're so hard to come by in the United States like all the articles state.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice pics.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't tell the difference between a flying fox and algae eater
Old 12-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble_B0y
I can't tell the difference between a flying fox and algae eater
If they're larger, the whiskers help. The SAE has a pair of whiskers that come from the top of it's mouth. The Flying Fox should have a pair on top and a pair on the bottom. It's tough to see in a store tank that has lots of these things moving everywhere, and sometimes stores mix batches together.

The coloration on the fins I have a tough time on seeing as what is in the background affects the perceived coloration.

In larger SAEs, the stripe should be a zig zag on the edges, not straight. I think that's the best sign to tell, but you can't see that until the fish are larger from what I've read.

I was lucky and was able to see all these things pretty clearly when I was in the store.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Great looking pic and fish.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice pics.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am a Pleco fan personally, but now I may reconsider!

Tags
algae, algae eater, algae eaters, eat, eater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com