Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I took some pictures of my SAE. Then I was at my friend's office. He has the CAE I gave him a while back. The thing is huge. It's 7" long and it pushes the Clown Loaches out of the way.

img_837329_0_d4fa8c4ec8d05a805004546af71b039a.jpg

img_837329_1_300276fc6d2665ce3535bbebf9aaa6c1.jpg

img_837329_2_55d9d8b24b34a86e6e7fee20394afda6.jpg

A very brave Dwarf Crayfish actually chased off this big guy.

Nice, clear pics. I still have difficulties telling the difference between SAE and CAE at the fish store. From your pics, the most apparent difference seems to be that the black line runs unbroken from tail to nose in the SAE and from tail to eye in the CAE. Is this noticeable in juvenile specimens, and are there any other differences that you could point out?

How long did it take for the CAE to reach 7 inches?

The CAE is a suckermouth fish. That is the most defining characteristic. The SAE as no apparent sucker for it's mouth. What most people have problems distinguishing are the Flying Fox and False Siamensis when compared to the true SAE. This page has some drawings about the differences.

The only real way I can tell the difference is to look at the black line and fins. The true SAE line goes all the way through the end of the tail. The False Siamensis does not. The Flying Fox will have coloring on its fins, and the true SAE will have clear fins other than the ribbing.

There used to be a better website with the differences and real pictures. I think the False also has a suckermouth. The SAE has only two whiskers coming from the top of his mouth. The Flying Fox has four I believe. I have a store near me that labels them Flying Foxes, but they're SAEs. There are 30+ there at the store. I should sell them if they're so hard to come by in the United States like all the articles state.

Bubble_B0y said:
I can't tell the difference between a flying fox and algae eater

If they're larger, the whiskers help. The SAE has a pair of whiskers that come from the top of it's mouth. The Flying Fox should have a pair on top and a pair on the bottom. It's tough to see in a store tank that has lots of these things moving everywhere, and sometimes stores mix batches together.

The coloration on the fins I have a tough time on seeing as what is in the background affects the perceived coloration.

In larger SAEs, the stripe should be a zig zag on the edges, not straight. I think that's the best sign to tell, but you can't see that until the fish are larger from what I've read.

I was lucky and was able to see all these things pretty clearly when I was in the store.

Back
Top Bottom