Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

This tank has been going for 6-7 months or so, but just switched to the sand. I agree I'll never use gravel again as well.

I have 3 Cory cats now but plan on getting more (it is a 55g tank). The LFS was out right now but a new shipment is coming in today. I was thinking 3-4 more?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

You guys convinced me.. My 110 will be sand and then I'll convert my 55 to sand as well.

Have any experience with black sand?

asudavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
This tank has been going for 6-7 months or so, but just switched to the sand. I agree I'll never use gravel again as well.

I have 3 Cory cats now but plan on getting more (it is a 55g tank). The LFS was out right now but a new shipment is coming in today. I was thinking 3-4 more?
55g and only 3 fish so far? why dont you get some hearty starters like tetras and stuff, dont be like me and get fragile fish for starters( even though I have great luck with em) just get some tetras they (LFS) might trade you fish too, sell you starters now then when its established they will take em back for fancier fish, atleast my LFS does.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Totally awsome.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only 3 Cory Cats (well 4, but one isn't doing so well I think). I've also got 6 tiger barbs, 4 tinfoil barbs, 4 rainbow fish, 6-8 otto, 1 siamese algae eater and two plecos.

I just bought 3 more Cory cats and 4 large shrimp.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

id stop and let it be for now, let the cycle get over with and you will be fine.

I cycled my tank with gouramis and kuhli's, lost 2 out of 3 gouramis and nothing else besides a frog and a chinese algae eater in the first 2-3 weeks havnt lost anything since, I used CYCLE to get the tank established a little better. It really helps with sand since there is no gravel or UGF to help the biological process along.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyone know anything about black beauty screwing with my fish's health and physical appearence. what will it do to my ph. i think ima get some, i have play sand in right now and dont like it
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
You guys convinced me.. My 110 will be sand and then I'll convert my 55 to sand as well.

Have any experience with black sand?
I've heard some rumors that the Black Tahitian Moon sand is oily. I've asked here and some say they had no problems, some say it was really dirty and oily. I decided to go with play sand, no additives and no oils.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try Aqua-Terra Black Sand! http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/242915/product.web or http://www.purewaterpebbles.com/aquaterra.html

I have Tahitian Moon Sand and Aqua-Terra Black Sand my A-T Sand (Acrylic Coated)does not seem to try to compact as easy as the T.M.S. and I can not tell that one grows plants any better than the other the A-T was cheaper as well as cleaner.

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com