Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also switch the substrate

Ok, after seeing all these people with sand bottoms and how GREAT those tanks looked I took the plung myself.

I went to Lowes and grabbed 2 50lb bags of the Quikcrete Play sand. I then spent about 2 hours cleaning, then cleaning and once I thought it was clean, cleaned it some more. As there very little clouding I'm pretty sure I did a good job.

My tank has always been a center-piece that can be seen on 3 sides, and is continuing to be so. I have a couple shots of each side.

So, here are the photos!
Before:

Emptied about 1/2 the water into a bin for the fish. Put all the plants in there and took out my driftwood:

Here is the temp tank. I kept my filter going just in case. I eventually covered it with a blanket to keep little noses out!

Here it is at the start with my driftwood and sand:

Here it is 1/2 way full with the plants added back. I have a front and back view. Well, there is no front or back... I can only show one side so here it is:

I had the other view but could only have 8 pictures so I will do a front and back with the finished ones below...

And FINALLY full with the fish! I put all the water back in that was keeping the fish so it was like a 50% water change. Hopefully that (plus not changing the filter) will keep any cycling down to a minimum. I'll check the numbers in the morning. Yea, I know the tank needs to be wiped down but I'm wiped out!

And the other side. I had my thermo on the end next to the wall but I don't think it was doing a good job so I did move it to the middle even if it does block the view a bit...

Thanks for looking!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for showing us your switchover's progression.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Looks very nice, good work! I absolutely love that driftwood.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats a nice.

I love how the sand looks, I went with aquarium white sand( MUCH finer then playsand) in mine.

Dont worry I got my heater in the middle, Mine is a showcase tank too. Figure eh, they need it and its gotta be in there, I tried to hide it low by the sand but that didnt work well, upper temps were only at 70 while the two bottom inches of water were at 78
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the comments. I think it looks better in person but I'm not much of a photographer to give that impression. I'm really glad I did it because it looks so much more natural.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

is it crystal clear now?

I love taking pics from above, I got a waterproof camera bag im going to pick up from work to get some in tank shots.

I might be able to get in-tank video if I can find my EPIC cam and make sure its case is 200% waterproof.

Its nothing fancy but with sand on the bottom it it looks even better from in the water.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was pretty much crystal clear in about 1 hour or so. Looks great so far.

One drawback: much easier to see the fish poo! Will need to clean more often, then is for sure.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just got catfish for that, its usually poop free in there after they get done feeding. Kinda gross but what are you gonna do.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good idea. I think I'll go to the LFS today!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank is established right? or nearing the final week or so?

Cats are down in the thick of it, Tell them you want the hardest pair to catch, not only do they school but they do a much better job of cleaning the tank.

I wont use gravel again, even the 10g is going to sand.

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com