ancient history

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alg8er

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
180 gal reef tank in 1979

Attachments

• reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 152
  • reef close.jpg
    reef close.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 159
  • reef closer.jpg
    reef closer.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 162
  • reef closer1.jpg
    reef closer1.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 171
Wow! It's fantastic! I love all the vibrant colors and the starfish in the third picture.

the city secretly put additive in water to coat pipes because of lead. It was a phosphate and since this was before ro, it killed my reef. This was my next try.

Attachments

• salt stingray.jpg
    salt stingray.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 136
Unfortunately I couldn't deal with the constant red algae, so I went freshwater. 1988

Attachments

• gator.jpg
    gator.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 173
Meanwhile, across the room....

Attachments

• angellicus stingray.jpg
    angellicus stingray.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 124
  • angellicus stingray2.jpg
    angellicus stingray2.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 123
You've had so many beautiful tanks and amazing pets. I especially like the stingray! How hard was caring for it, and how big of a tank did it need? I can only imagine how much time and effort you spent on your animals. I admire that level of dedication.

Thanks! Yeah, tons of work. The stingray was the easiest fish I had! Toss some shrimp or fish in every 2-3 days. He was in a 220, but needed bigger. The reef was an hour and a half every couple days, the octopus would only eat live crabs or shrimp, the moray had to be fed with a stick. Every day was water change day.

Unfortunately I couldn't deal with the constant red algae, so I went freshwater. 1988

attachment.php

Will it out grow the tank ???? What's your plan here.. Curious

That was 1988. The gator is long gone. Yes he outgrew the tank, was put in an indoor pond till he was about 5', then traded to a gator farm in Florida for another baby. Did that 2 times over the years. The farm got Gators used to being handled for their shows, so they were happy. I got tired of them, so I switched to turtles.

That was 1988. The gator is long gone. Yes he outgrew the tank, was put in an indoor pond till he was about 5', then traded to a gator farm in Florida for another baby. Did that 2 times over the years. The farm got Gators used to being handled for their shows, so they were happy. I got tired of them, so I switched to turtles.
How did you like the turtles? I had a couple of red Sliders in the 80s that I raised from babies in a 100 gallon on my porch. Boy were they mean. Almost as dangerous as a gator. If you stuck your hand in there when they were hungry it was fair game as far as they were concerned. Wish I could find the underwater pictures I took of them. Really scary. Look like they wanted to bite your nose off. I stuck an underwater diving camera in there and snapped a bunch of shots while they were attacking it and my hand. Those guys were great. Watching them tear a large feeder goldfish to shreds was pretty gruesome but also pretty cool if you know what I mean.

I still keep turtles. A pair of southern map, a painted, and a diamondback terrapin. My first turtles were red ear sliders. Had them in the 180 with a pair of 10 year old oscars. Mine were mellow, and the oscars would bite the edge of their shell and push them around the tank till they dropped their food. The oscars were over 10", the male turtle was 8", and the female was 16". I gave them to a buddy with a huge pond.
gV8s9zBP7Ry6B8C1ABB47MONpq3-g7MQMTHwQ0

Nice. I really like my turtles but having a pet that was always trying to bite me and could do some serious damage if it did got old after a while. Or maybe I just got old after a while. I had to move and gave mine away to a young guy who like to watch them eat.

Back
Top Bottom