Any tips for taking photos of moving fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awmused

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I've been "hobby" photographing for a little while and tend to like to take photos of the "small" things in life. I read the sticky about "Decoding the DSLR: Terms, Tips, & Tricks" and saw information about using a tripod and a remote controlled shutter (which I have both of). I think those ideas work great for full tank shots or subjects that don't move.

The problem is, with fish that are constantly in motion or darting in unpredictable directions, I don't tend to always capture that super high clarity, detailed photo still that I ideally envision. I find myself that running along the glass of the tank to follow and *snap, snap, snap* as quick as I can to get a few decent shots.

Does anyone have any tips or insight on how they capture their photos of moving fauna?

I'm using a Canon XSi and have the standard kit lens.

Here's one of my better shots of my dwarf puffers (who had just been hunting for snails) with a standard 18-55mm lens...

Attachments

• awmused_dwarfpuffer_01_800.jpg
    awmused_dwarfpuffer_01_800.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 141
I'm no photography expert but you are going to want a fast shutter speed for that. Likely a sports setting on your camera. Set aperture for more light.

I caught a hummingbird mid flight with perfect clarity using a fast shutter, high iso, and large aperture (remember, the larger the aperture, the lower the number). I also prefer a fixed lens.
15649-albums9962-picture40975.jpg

Last edited:
I caught a hummingbird mid flight with perfect clarity using a fast shutter, high iso, and large aperture (remember, the larger the aperture, the lower the number). I also prefer a fixed lens.

Beautiful picture. My grandmother would love that. She loves birds about like I love fish.

Back
Top Bottom