Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have a site they recommend to host aquarium photos?

I bought a new 8 mega pixel camera. Some pictures are up to 4MB. Any suggestions on where to host them so I will not have to compress and take away pic quality?

*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
I think photobucket.com may have what you're looking for.
Not sure on file sizes but i know alot of people host there pictures there.

For Sale: Brand New Filstar XP3. In Box w/extra Media. $80 obo shipped.
ace1uno_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd recommend www.multiply.com for photos also. It lets you do all the usual stuff to make albums but it supports any size of photos 50KB to tens of MBs. You are limited to 150 pics a month for the free account.

Here is my aquarium photo pages if your interested in a preview.
33G - http://unipsycho.multiply.com/photos/album/1
60G (just getting going) - http://unipsycho.multiply.com/photos/album/16

If you just need one time hosting and no albums and such you should try www.imageshack.com as they have some really easy features and can post any image forever up to 1MB in size. Lots of upload tools to help with also...

You can link directly to the images from imageshack, you can't with multiply or photobucket asaik.

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek

Free accounts allow 25mb storage and max 500KB upload but for just $5 mo you get 200mb storage and max upload of 2mb.

To be 100% honest hardly anyone is going to sit thru a multiple meg image download to see a pic. Sure its nice to be able to store the origonals but thats what DVD-R's and CD-R's are for. I find about the max the average joe is going to wait around on is 500KB image and its not hard to have a 500KB image that looks just as good as a 4mb image. The only difference would be overall resolution and not to many people will have 21" or larger screens running at 1600x1200 or higher to not have to scroll for images of high resoultion. What good is a high res pic if you have to scale it down on your screen to see is or you have to scroll left/right and up/down to view the entire picture.

If you find image hosting sites to limiting as far as options you could look at getting a domain from godaddy.com and having a 'real' hosting account where you can install and configure a web gallery simular to our gallery on this site or like the one linked here. http://www.kaya-louise.com/gallery/ We offer for the same $5/month 500mb of disk storage on a web hosting solution. With that you could upload as large an image as you want via FTP and then put the image into the gallery. The gallery then makes a thumbnail and a scalled down 800x600 or what ever you specify medium sized image and you can still maintan the orgional image by clicking the medium scalled image.

For general digital photography skills help I would suggest the websites http://www.photographycorner.com/ and http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
LOL. Aaron why not tell them about this great photo site. www.aquariumhosting.com
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I also have an 8MP (Canon Digital Rebel) and put up my photos with no resizing at all at www.smugmug.com. There is a yearly fee of $29.95 but I find it's well worth it. I literally have hundreds of photos on my page. Your storage space is unlimited. You upload dozens of photos at once in seconds. If you decide to use it, use this coupon code in the referred by area for a $5 discount:

54G AGA Corner Tank
Eheim 2215 Canister Filter (w/ live rock rubble in it)
3 Maxijet 1200 Power Heads
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
http://www.flickr.com has no storage limit, only monthly upload limits if you have a free account. They also have a lot of nice features such as automatic posting to blogs, direct linking, galleries, tags, etc.

bromion is offline   Reply With Quote

oto, photos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com