Apple snails skim-feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
You'll have to forgive my continuing fascination with these critters.
icon_smile.gif

I read on an apple snail forum about a feeding strategy that some snails use called skim feeding. The snail climbs to the water surface and forms a saucer-shaped structure with its foot that acts as a skimmer. The snail pumps water into the saucer, drawing nearby floating food particles within the mouth's reach.

This is the first time I observed this behavior in my snails. Obviously, they are no longer content to settle for algae wafers and whatever flake food happens to make its way to the bottom- they want the big choice flakes that the fish always get to first!

The first pic is taken from above. You can see the ring of surface tension around the saucer's edge and a morsel of food being drawn into it.
The second pic is taken from the side. The snail uses the rear half of the foot to anchor itself to the glass and the front half to form the saucer.
Third and fourth pics are taken from above. The snail traps and gulps down a big piece of flake. Yum!

Attachments

• IMG_6517a.jpg
    IMG_6517a.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6521a.jpg
    IMG_6521a.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6523a.jpg
    IMG_6523a.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6524a.jpg
    IMG_6524a.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
Cool. I've tried to target feed my snail that was climbing up the glass. I hit him with a sinking shrimp pellet, which happened to balance on him. He moved around it and started eating, much like in your picture, but against the glass instead of the surface.

Great photos--they really are very interesting critters! I look forward to being able to set up a dedicated snail tank again; they're a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom