Aquariums are difficult to photograph, help me out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a canon rebel dslr. I have only tried a few times but I have had trouble getting quality pics. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for getting excellent photos. Suggestions like aperature, shutter speed, ISO and any other settings that have worked well for you would be amazing.

use the "sport" setting. it takes many picturs in a row ( I think my parents have the same one) AWESOME camera btw if its th same as theirs :p

also there is a setting hta twill take rapid pictures evey time u hit the button

If you are willing to mess with some of the advanced settings, try changing your ISO to about 800. Put your camera in Tv (Shutter speed priority mode) and set the shutter speed to at least 90ms. Also, make sure to use the appropriate white balance mode... most likely flourescent.

If the lens is good enough and can get a wide enough aperture, you should be able to get some good pics.

hope this helps!

I just started shooting my aquarium as well, and here's what I have found. Shoot in RAW if you have a way to edit them (Photoshop or Canon's app). It gives you more leeway to adjust the exposure after the fact without comprimising the picture. Like JasonC said - higher ISO (I would aim for ISO400 on the Rebel, otherwise the noise starts getting bad).

I'd use full manual mode - probably shutter speed around 1/90 and aperture as wide open as you can get - around f/4 would be ideal.

Don't know how much of this makes sense to you. If you're new to shooting w/ a DSLR, "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a great book that explains all these settings in plain english.

Haha I understand what your saying. I'll give it a try tonight and see how it works out, thanks for the tips! And I just picked up a zoom lense really cheap from circuit city. Now I can take pics without my fish running and hiding!

Glad you understand! I know on some boards I'll mention ISO, etc and get a lot of people saying they've never taken their Rebel off "green square"!

I was trying my luck with the 50mm f/1.8 last night and it looks like that will be a good one to shoot with. If you don't have a 50, you should! It's a whopping $90 brand new from any number of reputable online shops.

I need to add some extra light to the tank when I shoot, but I was able to get good shots at ISO800, 1/100, f/4 with my 40D and the 50mm f/1.8. Good luck and show us the shots you get!

Send me a link to what your talking about, any camera accessory for only $90 tweaks my interest! And I will deffinitally get some pics up soon I just haven't had time to move some lamps in and set up the tripod.

Send me a link to what your talking about, any camera accessory for only $90 tweaks my interest! And I will deffinitally get some pics up soon I just haven't had time to move some lamps in and set up the tripod.

Oh, this is much more than an accessory!

Canon | Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens | 2514A002BA

I love this lens. You can't beat the performance/cost on it! I put some pics in my gallery in my profile... They were taken with my 50mm a couple nights ago. It's an amazing lens in low light because of its wide aperture, and it's really really sharp because it's a prime (non zoom) lens. Everyone shooting w/ Canon needs this lens in their bag!

I have a Canon 40d, very similar to the Rebel DSLRs. I have used the kit lens that came with and some decent glass (85mm f/1.8 prime) to shoot my tank. The best photos I have taken would be with a friends 60mm macro lens. For the real close up shots, you can't beat a macro lens made for such a purpose. If your like me though, you won't have 300 - 1200 to spend on lenses, so I have been looking at the Canon 250d and 500d. They attach like a filter to your lens (Be sure to get the proper size) and allow for macro like photography with you existing len(s). Google it for details. Oh, and use a tripod and remote shutter if you can.

http://picasaweb.google.com/81Gibson/4sale?feat=directlink

Happy Reefing!

Ditto what MarineFlake said! I've been trying to pry a 100mm Macro from a co-worker to try out... Think I would have even better luck w/ that.

I've always wondered how those macro "filters" work - never tried one. Might be a decent alternative to buying more glass, but where's the fun in that??? Looking at the EXIF data on your pics, they're all 60mm - are those from the EF-S 60mm Macro? I've been kicking around the thought of picking up that lens, but just haven't been able to pull the trigger - there's more lenses around that same price that would be more practical for everyday use for me :(

I found that adding light to the top of the tank give the best photos. Flash is hard to deal with unless at angles and then your compostion is comprimised.

and try at night when there is less light in the room for glass to reflect

Back
Top Bottom