Autumnsky's 72G Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Neons seem to stay in the lower half of the tank now that the DD Angel is back. When he was gone they would traverse all areas and depths enjoying the middle just all the time.

Now that the big cranky guy is back they try and stay below any place he goes. I call him the Ghost because he is nearly invisible since the substrate is very dark and the background came stock as black. All of a sudden poof there he is, pops out of the shadows and surprises me and the fish!

I have seen him pop up and bull doze right through the middle of the school just to chase them away.

Of the 2 bullys he was the lesser of the aggressors. But he does chase more than bite.

As I was sitting and entering this info I started watching the Angels.

2 of the young Koi Angels are hanging out together all the time. Previously when that happens they end up pairing off. They are the most orange coverage of the 3 - just musings.

The other males I had hoped to get were Philippine blue and Ghost / Panda Angel like a silver with round to oval black splotchs, absolutely beautiful both groups from this particular breeder. Might have to pay a little $$ for them, more $$ than the usual nice fish. Might also have to get a return policy if they can't get along.

Was hoping to just get a passed the prime mature adult male breeder so I would know it was a male. The breeder is the one the DD Black came from. The 2 that were rehomed - the bigger female especially was of exceptional confirmation. Really nice fish!

Last edited:
Those sound nice angelfish. I'm tempted next auction if any come up although the ones I have are mainly getting along so should leave it at that. Are they just cranky or space limit?

So sorry as usual very busy and actually just kinda forgot to note this thread.

So a little bit going on. Can't remember if I mentioned, there are no longer any Rainbow fish. All gone now, died off.

Melini Cories seem to be gone, I think already mentioned that.

The Angels are grown and now really fighting at each other, looks like 2 males and one female.

No one ever took the Opaline Gourami.

The Upside Down Cat got a new home with the huge Double Dark Angel with a nearby hobbyist.

Added about 8 male Green Lantern Platy to the tank, except one turned out to be a female I think even though I tried to have male and female in separate tanks! (now have more babies in the other tank tiny fry/!) Just because I have too many. Some will be going to the auction.

Here are the Angels looking a little like they are squaring off.
60074-albums11380-picture70877.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture70876.jpg

I tied the tiny Anubias to a stone. Planted the sad looking Red Sword plant and need to get some more fert capsules for the tank.

Moved some of the over grown Wisteria out and still have too much. Trimmed a bunch of poor leaves and cleaned some of the green spot algae off the front but didn't get around to finishing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

Intend to move out the WCMM even though I really enjoy them in there.

Will move the big, huge Spotted Raphael Catfish to the 46G. Will be turning my spare room into an office and fish tank room, and although had planned to sell the 46G, will now keep it.

Wanting to also move out a few more Plecos and the 3 or 4 Rio Otapa Swordtails(Haven't seen the 2nd male for awhile but the other male is getting a beautiful sky blue Sword tail)

And the Gourami and the Odessa Barbs. Which all depend on what fish I get at the auction on Saturday (about a 75% chance of going.) Need to move the aforementioned baby Platy to the spare tank so they aren't fish food.

Have still been looking for a great replacement tank like a ~150-250 gallon tank for the upgrade to this one for the living room Display. But the budget is not too big for that tank, it will have to be a tank that someone really can not take with them when they move or something. A steal deal - Cheap but good.

~~~~~~~
What I need for this tank is about 2-3 Clown Loaches. Everytime I think I should buy them they are really expensive.

Delapool, Discus someday in the future!!!

There will be a regional club Rocky Mountain Cichlid Association Auction this weekend and I may find a few blue Angels there. New ones for this tank.

Also planning on a special surprise fish stocking here... We will see how it goes.

Another wow I see from me - scrolling back :)

Will have to pull this up on the desktop to check out the layout.

And tsk, tsk! We should be getting more regular updates and pics :)

Beauty of a tank. Nice to see it evolving with the pic history. I'm sure that bargain biggie is in your future! Have you ever advertised that you are looking for one? Maybe an ad expressing your sincere desire and love of the hobby may move someone to part with a big empty tank sitting in storage that they haven't found to motivation to deal with yet.

Yikes - Its been awhile. About 7 months :eek:

latest pic
60074-albums11380-picture71480.jpg

So a little bit has been going on. Yet not much in the end.

Moved fish around and kept more of the warm water fish in this tank and moved more of the cooler water fish to the 46G.

Ended up with a surprise pair of Discus. They has some issues in making the change to the new home had fin rot, one got better and one died after a few weeks. Ended up with no Discus and decided it was a bad time. Really hadn't planned on them just at that time. It did not work out well and was a miserably sad experience.

Moved one pair of Koi Angels to their own space. Will be rehoming them for someone who wants to breed.

Have 3 Angels now - one Koi Angel and a long fin Silver blue and a Golden longfin.

Previously had a school of 50+ Neons and Cardinals, but many were eaten by the large Raphael Catfish. Moved the Raphael Cat to the 46G so it wouldn't eat the fish.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOW September 2017

Side note - A couple weeks back got a used 90G SW equiped with overflow (which I don't know what to do with that yet) Oceanic bowfront. Still deciding if we will use it for the new FW or what to do with it, maybe a SW option.

Have recently been getting more Neons to round up the school for 50+ again.

3 Angels
SAE pair
Bronze and Peppered Cories
Clown Loach baby
Neons and Glowlight Tetras
Green Longfinned Dragon Pleco
Albino shortfinned BN Pleco pair plus another male

Erk, I can't keep up lol. So the big tanks are the 72 and 46G with the 90G coming soon (not even going to attempt the small tanks!)?

Yes, good memory.

As another side note
smaller tanks are
FW 12G Edge PRL shrimp/
6.6G Edge nano fish/

5G Spec V Betta /
29G Angel Breeder going away soon

SW 12G Mr. Aqua 2 fish 2 snails/
6.6 Edge Rock flower and macroalgae tank/
6.6G M.Algae /Pods growing tank

I took them out of my signature line, lol. Somehow that equals 5 - soon.... I keep intending that.

3 SW =1

46G going away
29G going away

Betta doesn't count as a tank right?

You know - the fuzzy math - we already had this discussion, but I think it was before the 90G :eek:

Things have calmed down in this tank now.

The Neons are looking good, at least the ones which lived through QT to make it into the tank. Have had a bunch losses for them though just to get to the number I was hoping for - probably got 100 sick ones, heart crushing even though they were bad shipments to the fish store it is a hard pill to swallow seeing that many fish die.

Have many things going on at home and limited in how much I can get done. Just posting has taking most of my time. Need to post a few pics on all the tanks but won't probably happen for another week.

The 72G is a pretty tank.

Now that I have the 90G bowfront still sitting in the garage I am having a hard time deciding to move this stuff or just start a whole new tank.

That's a tough one - I can hardly get motivated on setting up a small tank, let alone a big tank like that. Good news everything is looking more stable with the fish.

Fish had to be moved a little, not much been going on though.

Added the Christmas birthday Fluval AC 110 filter on the tank but misplaced the intake tube and finally got it hooked up and powered about a week back.

The AC 110 the maximum g/ph is 500 which is likely possible at the initial setting up of the filter as the gunk hasn't built up and it is all new pump and media.

The Fluval FX-5 says ~950G per hour is its maximum capacity based on the pumping I think. It is pretty old and the media not clear of debris either, no way even close to maximum.

No clue precisely how much water is running through the tank, but it is quite a bit now (y)

Have been on the mission to get approximately 100 Neons in the 72G.

Presently have the number needed. 25 are still in QT but are looking great.

With the ones got before I should have about 100!!!

The idea of having a very large school started a few years ago and there were troubles in tank land on 2 other tries. Thinking we are on the verge of realizing the dream.

For a long time have been looking for a much larger bowfront tank to take this tanks place. Maybe looking forever but if the opportunity presents itself with a great deal for the tank, I will bring it in.

For now, we have additional filtration, and I plan to make a point to feed
am & pm to divide the foods and allow for filtering to break down leftovers if there are any.

Recently added the last of my favorite Ferka Stemma and Rosetta capsules and need to order more.

Will be needing to do a little bit of a rescape, probably dividing the DW and Angelfish to another tank - 90G maybe soon,

Would like the 72G to have a nice wide open space to showcase the Neons.

Might play with the 48-60" Orbit Marine light on the tank and see how it operates, came from the 90G tank acquisition but the 90G has a leak right now, so I need to check that out.

Will take and post some pics pretty soon, before the changes.

Last edited:
Oh, also wanted to mention I got 2 big Bamboo Shrimp and they seem content on the inflow side of the tank where I dropped them in, and both are alive after about a week so I am happy thinking they will survive and enjoy the tank.

That’s a lot - I’d love to see photos when you get time. I’ve seen planted tanks from the experts with large schools and just thought they looked stunning for colour.

Working the next few days and have a catastrophe of stuff pulled away from the walls for painting the main room. Didn't know there was so much stuff in here till it was all in the middle of the floor.

Planning to slide the 72G back into place tomorrow night. And then the piles of stuff need to get put away, maybe somewhere other than the living room, lol. Not sure where that is yet.

Pics should be in the next couple days.

The walls were basically burgundy. Now they are a butter cream. The black bowfront tank really stands out now. But it seems small compared to the wall space now.

Looking for a 6 or 7 foot or ~ 2 meters used good condition reasonably priced replacement. Probably will be looking for awhile, :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

The 2 Koi Angelfish are "fighting" again doing a standoff behaviour. Wish I was better at telling M / F.

The 72G is so crowded with DW and the angry Angels - the Neons stay in the bottom plants most of the time.

Interesting timing on this question.

In the past no, not seen any loses for Neons with the Angels. Angels were not that big and the Neons were full sized.

It seems this morning I walk over to the 72G and see something sticking out of the mouth of one of the big Koi Angels - now they are all pretty large really.

The recent batch of Neons were small, med. and large.

I see a Neon Tetra, end of the two curved tiny parts of the tail STICKING OUT of its MOUTH!!! REALLY?!?! So can see that the small sizes and possibly the medium sizes could be snacks. Full grown mature one maybe not. But the Cardinals would get slightly larger and that is what used to have but they were too costly and had a hard time finding them when I was ready to buy and around $4.99 each, compared to $1.00 each.

Well that was a very costly fish treat for the Koi Angel.

The irony in the timing of the question. REALLY Delapool, did you have a camera pointed on that tank? Insider information?!? lol.

So I was able to schedule a few hours early off of work tomorrow to set up the tank in the 46G for the moment to remove the Angels to.

The 3 Angels will be a bit surprised at the size of their new quarters - 3 feet wide instead of 4 feet, but with the Neon project at risk, I will make them sit tight for a short time to decide how it will go with the 90G overflow tightening/resealing or whatever it is it needs.

Cannot believe the timing Delapool. Didn't feed them their usual large food yesterday before bed time. As I was busy with the painting. Darn. Thanks for the question Delapool actually, I am kidding with you before. Glad I will get the chance to save some of the Neons from the live feeder situation.

Geez. These Angels are really bigger than any others I have had now! The size of my hand, not a petite hand either.

They are still fighting too.

Maybe the Neon was just resting in its mouth. Like a mom fish holding here babies...not.

Back
Top Bottom