Baby apple snails anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johny

Aquarium Advice Freak
These little guys have just about cleaned up anything and everything in my tank they could eat, so I dropped in an algae wafer. I looked back over at the tank a little bit later and saw this.... Just thought I would share.

Attachments

• Snails.jpg
    Snails.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 206
Yeppers....thems food for the puffers. They love eating them too. They are just the right size for my puffers. I'm afraid though that I still may have too many. I am not sure I can feed them all to my puffers before they get too big.

lol love how everyone is talking about how adorable they are when they are puffer fish food....

Are you able to raise enough snails on your own to feed your puffers?

If all the eggs hatched, then yes I would think so. The last three clutches of eggs that our apple snail laid don't look like they will yield anything. But As you can see I still have a fair amount of snails to feed them still, and the larger they get the less numbers of them I need to feed. I also have a huge block of frozen blood worms and a good sized bag of frozen raw in the shell shrimp in my freezer...so I won't run out of food for them anytime soon.

I am hoping to get some red cherry shrimp soon and see if I can breed them for feeding the puffers as well. That way the snails don't have to do it all.

That they are absoluteangel04....It was fun watching them when they first hatched. They were TINY! I thought something was wrong with my tank when I suddenly had a 100 yellow specks on my glass. Then I realized it was the snails and they had hatched. It's the first batch of them that has hatched.

If all the eggs hatched, then yes I would think so. The last three clutches of eggs that our apple snail laid don't look like they will yield anything. But As you can see I still have a fair amount of snails to feed them still, and the larger they get the less numbers of them I need to feed. I also have a huge block of frozen blood worms and a good sized bag of frozen raw in the shell shrimp in my freezer...so I won't run out of food for them anytime soon.

I am hoping to get some red cherry shrimp soon and see if I can breed them for feeding the puffers as well. That way the snails don't have to do it all.

That's cool that you can raise that many.

I would love to keep a puffer some day but in Maine freshwater inverts are illegal to sell. I would have to raise all their food. Blood worms are a great supplement but I wouldn't want to have to file their teeth from lack of eating shells.

animalzrok2 said:
lol love how everyone is talking about how adorable they are when they are puffer fish food....

I think mice are cute too...and we feed them to the snake! Fortunately we get them frozen, they're not so cute that way :)

Back
Top Bottom