Banana plant's becoming a shrimp hangout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
The other day I threw one of my banana plants out of my main tank and into my fry/RCS tank. Turns out it was a great idea. My shrimp absolutely love it and there's atleast 4 on it at all times. (Sorry, couldn't move the moss without them moving either, and couldn't get a good angle without a glare)

Attachments

• image-2900089956.jpg
    image-2900089956.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image-1643257667.jpg
    image-1643257667.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 123
They decide to get into the craziest places and tiniest crevices! It awesome! Every time I look into the tank they have picked out another new small spot. They especially enjoy being behind the sponge filter lol

They decide to get into the craziest places and tiniest crevices! It awesome! Every time I look into the tank they have picked out another new small spot. They especially enjoy being behind the sponge filter lol

Pre-filter sponge here, yup! And they love the moss. I have new tiny, tiny OEBT, and I am having a hard time just seeing them, to make sure they are alive. My cherry shrimp I have a ton in my 16G over 150 of them but only see about 10-20 at the most at a time as they are hiding all over!

I've been dying to get some OEBT's!
Lucky!
Lol I probably have about 100 babies in the container I used to QT the adults in...they all decided to have their babies a couple days after I got them all lol all the adults are in my fry tank now just to keep it a little cleaner for the babies (still don't know what baby shrimp are called lol shrimplets maybe?)
How am I supposed to vacuum with all them in there? I have been using airline tubing and even then i usually suck atleast a few up. It's terrible

I've been dying to get some OEBT's!
Lucky!
Lol I probably have about 100 babies in the container I used to QT the adults in...they all decided to have their babies a couple days after I got them all lol all the adults are in my fry tank now just to keep it a little cleaner for the babies (still don't know what baby shrimp are called lol shrimplets maybe?)
How am I supposed to vacuum with all them in there? I have been using airline tubing and even then i usually suck atleast a few up. It's terrible

I use a white bucket so I can see the babies and use the swirl technique...as the water is still, I use a bamboo chop stick and give a stir in a circle. All the water and particles follow the circle in the water. Crazy shrimp zig zag and dart about so it makes it easier to see them/know if you have any in there.

If it looks like none I will dump all but a few inches of water and check again with the swirl method and save any that are there.

Also I try and do a few bigger pwc/substrate cleanings when I see that I have a bunch berried and getting near and that way I can leave them alone for awhile. Then only try and suck water from the center of an open area, less chance of shrimp getting sucked up, when there are tons of tiny babies.

Faster to use the tube from the vacuum, or buy a new piece from the hardware or lfs. Airline tube takes FOREVER. Some people use a rinsed new nylon over the end. I can see it if simply doing a water change, not appropriate for substrate cleaning of course.

It isn't much yet, but here is the thread for the oebt. Still looking for local ones. Maybe buy from Speedies. But $30 just for shipping.:blink:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...iger-shrimp-adventure-251729.html#post2383374

Hmm, I've been using a clear betta cup to vac into and them if I see no shrimplets I dump the cup into the bucket.
Problem is, is that it's only .75 gallons, as it was only meant to be a QT at first lol so i can't really get a gravel vac in there, gotta stick with the tubing, it's a PITA! But it's working for now.
If I remember right, it takes 5 weeks for them to become mature? So it shouldn't be too long for them to be large enough to move them in with the adults. For now I just suck half the water out, pour another cup in, try to catch any debris that got kicked up with the new water, and repeat 2-3 more times. It's a long process, but will be worth it in the end I hope.

Anyways, I have seen a few different threads of yours! I just didn't realize it. Has your water problem been fixed yet? Definitely going to be following your thread.
I've been seeing OEBT's on AB going for a pretty decent amount IMO lately, like $3 a piece, but that's out of my pricerange fr the amount I would want...plus I don't have a seperate tank for them yet.

Back
Top Bottom