Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Fish R friends, not food!

Just found this thread after posting in mine. Your tank looks great!! Awesome job!! I wish I could find a Hongi here. Well done, coming along nicely!!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiofcanada View Post
Looks great!
I was warned against using rocks from landscaping places after a friend did the same and something unknown from the stones killed everything in her tank within 5 days. Bad luck I think/hope.

I personally would like more cliffstone for my tank. How did you treat your stones before adding them? Just a soak and vinegar test or just soak?
I scrubbed them down with a hard-bristle brush then soaked them for a few hours in the tub. Rinsed them off and put them in. I've had them in there for about 2 weeks now and no issues so far (crossing fingers).

I avoided anything that looked like it contained "metals" or "sparkled." Eventually I'd like to find some nice big lava rocks or something like that, but haven't had luck finding them around here yet and couldn't pass up these "free' rocks.

HondaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

i do the vinegar test and then the soak . i get most of my rocks from a river back in the woods. Ive managed to pick out only black rocks and so far it looks pretty cool. i will eventually get around to getting some pics of the tank. but who wants to see and unfinished tank anyways.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrady7761 View Post
i do the vinegar test and then the soak . i get most of my rocks from a river back in the woods. Ive managed to pick out only black rocks and so far it looks pretty cool. i will eventually get around to getting some pics of the tank. but who wants to see and unfinished tank anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaKid View Post
I scrubbed them down with a hard-bristle brush then soaked them for a few hours in the tub. Rinsed them off and put them in. I've had them in there for about 2 weeks now and no issues so far (crossing fingers).

I avoided anything that looked like it contained "metals" or "sparkled." Eventually I'd like to find some nice big lava rocks or something like that, but haven't had luck finding them around here yet and couldn't pass up these "free' rocks.
Nice...I have some river rocks and some other stones that I have found in various river hikes over the years. I always thought some would look great in an aqua terrain again. I will test them out in my new empty tank and see how it goes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com