Before & After

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HondaKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys. I'm in the process of going from a S. American tank to an African (Mbuna) tank.

Just finished putting the sand and rocks in so there's still quite a few little air bubbles. What do you think?

BEFORE:
img_1002490_0_cb854afeb8f781c5902c2b8df49a0dfe.jpg

AFTER:
img_1002490_1_3a611ee44d2702c336db0ccdb63d681c.jpg

img_1002490_2_a97c898f1b8de1bfae12d66409d5ba01.jpg

img_1002490_3_18ad994feebe7611bb17a2d114f1f5c7.jpg

It's a 55 gal tank and I used pool filter sand. The rocks were from various "rip rap" piles at the local landscaping place. The guy there told me to just grab as many as I needed (for free...SCORE!) Hopefully they're okay. Any rock experts?

Thanks!

looks good but whats on the glass

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Those were just air bubbles on the glass. It has since cleared up.
img_1003853_0_8c907db658a3e6779950648133a09a77.jpg

Also added my first batch of fish. Started with:
3x Labidochromis caeruleus
1x
Labidochromis sp. "Hongi" (SRT)

The Yellow Labs didn't want to be in the pics, but I did manage to get one of the Hongi.
img_1003853_1_5308691a23e383f13b4a6a587b90d954.jpg

Hope to add some Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt" and Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" next.

I'm having a difficult time finding a good selection of Mbuna around here.

Thanks again! :D

looks great. make sure that your rocks arent leaning on the glass.

Thanks again for the compliments.

I added a few more rocks today.
img_1006045_0_78e80ebf15d80337f37657ccaea043d8.jpg

Also added 2 Yellow Tail Acei (Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"). My Hongi is a camera-hog and managed to get himself in the pic as well.
img_1006045_1_5bb57b74f1ddf4022c79f4e90f40f62f.jpg

:p

Looks great!
I was warned against using rocks from landscaping places after a friend did the same and something unknown from the stones killed everything in her tank within 5 days. Bad luck I think/hope.

I personally would like more cliffstone for my tank. How did you treat your stones before adding them? Just a soak and vinegar test or just soak?

Just found this thread after posting in mine. Your tank looks great!! Awesome job!! I wish I could find a Hongi here. Well done, coming along nicely!!

Looks great!
I was warned against using rocks from landscaping places after a friend did the same and something unknown from the stones killed everything in her tank within 5 days. Bad luck I think/hope.

I personally would like more cliffstone for my tank. How did you treat your stones before adding them? Just a soak and vinegar test or just soak?

I scrubbed them down with a hard-bristle brush then soaked them for a few hours in the tub. Rinsed them off and put them in. I've had them in there for about 2 weeks now and no issues so far (crossing fingers).

I avoided anything that looked like it contained "metals" or "sparkled." Eventually I'd like to find some nice big lava rocks or something like that, but haven't had luck finding them around here yet and couldn't pass up these "free' rocks. :)

i do the vinegar test and then the soak . i get most of my rocks from a river back in the woods. Ive managed to pick out only black rocks and so far it looks pretty cool. i will eventually get around to getting some pics of the tank. but who wants to see and unfinished tank anyways.

i do the vinegar test and then the soak . i get most of my rocks from a river back in the woods. Ive managed to pick out only black rocks and so far it looks pretty cool. i will eventually get around to getting some pics of the tank. but who wants to see and unfinished tank anyways.

I scrubbed them down with a hard-bristle brush then soaked them for a few hours in the tub. Rinsed them off and put them in. I've had them in there for about 2 weeks now and no issues so far (crossing fingers).

I avoided anything that looked like it contained "metals" or "sparkled." Eventually I'd like to find some nice big lava rocks or something like that, but haven't had luck finding them around here yet and couldn't pass up these "free' rocks. :)

Nice...I have some river rocks and some other stones that I have found in various river hikes over the years. I always thought some would look great in an aqua terrain again. I will test them out in my new empty tank and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom