Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Beginner in need!

Here's my New 23L tank. It's my first tank and just purchased this as it's cheap and small as I am a starter and still not 100% sure what I'm doing. I've literally just set everything up.

Was considering putting some neon tetras in. Any ideas how many would be suitable for my tank (Store owner recommended 15) And any improvements which would which would help the tetras feel more at "home"

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	243055  

Old 07-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Here, Picture did not work.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA!

Have you read about cycling?

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thankyou, ive used a dechlorinator as instructed bh the store owner and just llaying the waiting game. I got told to wait 24hours but surely this isn't right
Old 07-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Hi. First of all, please do not put 15 neon tetras in this tank. Secondly, please research cycling your tank.

This would be a cute betta or shrimp tank once it's established. Unfortunately many small fish that seem suitable require at least a school of 6 or more to thrive, and this size tank is simply too small for a school of even the smallest type.

You could add filter media from an established tank and cycle much faster. I've done it many times and added fish right away with no problems at all.

A dwarf puffer would be suitable, however they can be high maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you don't want tropical fish you could add a few goldfish! I also heard of angelfish for that size. I do agree that you need to cycle though because the water is toxic without you cycling it. It's kind of a long process but it's worth it because then it keeps your fish happy and healthy! Yes tetras do need a heater and if you're set on tetras, then get a betta fish! And maybe a snail or two! I have heard of plenty of people keeping six tetras in a 30 gallon bowl.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Beginner in need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugshazfun View Post
If you don't want tropical fish you could add a few goldfish! I also heard of angelfish for that size. I do agree that you need to cycle though because the water is toxic without you cycling it. It's kind of a long process but it's worth it because then it keeps your fish happy and healthy! Yes tetras do need a heater and if you're set on tetras, then get a betta fish! And maybe a snail or two! I have heard of plenty of people keeping six tetras in a 30 gallon bowl.

30 gallons is a far cry from 23 liters. Goldfish are out of the question as well as angels. Obviously this was misunderstood.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh that was misunderstood!! My apologies I thought that was gallons!! Yes! Don't put goldfish or angels in there! A 6 gallon is perfect for a betta fish and a snail or two. I heard (because I am getting a betta) good tank mates are ghost shrimp and nerite snails. Look into those. Neon tetra fish are good for a much bigger tank.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainAl View Post
Here's my New 23L tank. It's my first tank and just purchased this as it's cheap and small as I am a starter and still not 100% sure what I'm doing. I've literally just set everything up.

Was considering putting some neon tetras in. Any ideas how many would be suitable for my tank (Store owner recommended 15) And any improvements which would which would help the tetras feel more at "home"

Many thanks.

I would get 12 neon tetras and a pair of ram cichlids

Old 08-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfanatic16 View Post
I would get 12 neon tetras and a pair of ram cichlids

No way should anyone put those fish in a 6 gallon tank. That tank is suitable for a single dwarf puffer, a betta, or shrimp.

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com