Beginner in need!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rainAl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here's my New 23L tank. It's my first tank and just purchased this as it's cheap and small as I am a starter and still not 100% sure what I'm doing. I've literally just set everything up.

Was considering putting some neon tetras in. Any ideas how many would be suitable for my tank (Store owner recommended 15) And any improvements which would which would help the tetras feel more at "home"

Many thanks. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 219
Thankyou, ive used a dechlorinator as instructed bh the store owner and just llaying the waiting game. I got told to wait 24hours but surely this isn't right

Hi. First of all, please do not put 15 neon tetras in this tank. Secondly, please research cycling your tank.

This would be a cute betta or shrimp tank once it's established. Unfortunately many small fish that seem suitable require at least a school of 6 or more to thrive, and this size tank is simply too small for a school of even the smallest type.

You could add filter media from an established tank and cycle much faster. I've done it many times and added fish right away with no problems at all.

A dwarf puffer would be suitable, however they can be high maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you don't want tropical fish you could add a few goldfish! I also heard of angelfish for that size. I do agree that you need to cycle though because the water is toxic without you cycling it. It's kind of a long process but it's worth it because then it keeps your fish happy and healthy! Yes tetras do need a heater and if you're set on tetras, then get a betta fish! And maybe a snail or two! I have heard of plenty of people keeping six tetras in a 30 gallon bowl.

If you don't want tropical fish you could add a few goldfish! I also heard of angelfish for that size. I do agree that you need to cycle though because the water is toxic without you cycling it. It's kind of a long process but it's worth it because then it keeps your fish happy and healthy! Yes tetras do need a heater and if you're set on tetras, then get a betta fish! And maybe a snail or two! I have heard of plenty of people keeping six tetras in a 30 gallon bowl.

30 gallons is a far cry from 23 liters. Goldfish are out of the question as well as angels. Obviously this was misunderstood.

Oh that was misunderstood!! My apologies I thought that was gallons!! Yes! Don't put goldfish or angels in there! A 6 gallon is perfect for a betta fish and a snail or two. I heard (because I am getting a betta) good tank mates are ghost shrimp and nerite snails. Look into those. Neon tetra fish are good for a much bigger tank. :)

Here's my New 23L tank. It's my first tank and just purchased this as it's cheap and small as I am a starter and still not 100% sure what I'm doing. I've literally just set everything up.

Was considering putting some neon tetras in. Any ideas how many would be suitable for my tank (Store owner recommended 15) And any improvements which would which would help the tetras feel more at "home"

Many thanks. :)

I would get 12 neon tetras and a pair of ram cichlids

I would get 12 neon tetras and a pair of ram cichlids

No way should anyone put those fish in a 6 gallon tank. That tank is suitable for a single dwarf puffer, a betta, or shrimp.

Yeah I would seriously recommend a dwarf puffer. They are some excellent, super interesting fish! I have 3 at the moment, and they are awesome to watch!

Fish are fun!! ???

No way should anyone put those fish in a 6 gallon tank. That tank is suitable for a single dwarf puffer, a betta, or shrimp.

:rolleyes:

12 neons would be perfectly, absolutely, completely, without a doubt fine in that size tank.
The rams no, but neon tetras, certainly.

I would put 6 or 7 neons in the tank, my 10g has 8 of them, both cardinals and neons, there's 4 if each.

:rolleyes:

12 neons would be perfectly, absolutely, completely, without a doubt fine in that size tank.
The rams no, but neon tetras, certainly.

That would be perfectly, absolutey, completely, without a doubt dumb. Not only would it be nearly impossible to keep suitable water quality, cramming all those fish in a 6 gallon tank is ridiculous and irresponsible.....certainly.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That would be perfectly, absolutey, completely, without a doubt dumb. Not only would it be nearly impossible to keep suitable water quality, cramming all those fish in a 6 gallon tank is ridiculous and irresponsible.....certainly.

it would be very easy to maintain water quality and it would be sufficient size for a small group of 12 neons, and the fishies would be very happy. :fish1:
I currently have over 22 critters in my ten gallon, which is essentially a similar bioload, and it must be completely, absolutely, perfectly fine considering that my rummynose tetras are spawning every three or four days.
:fish2:

it would be very easy to maintain water quality and it would be sufficient size for a small group of 12 neons, and the fishies would be very happy. :fish1:
I currently have over 22 critters in my ten gallon, which is essentially a similar bioload, and it must be completely, absolutely, perfectly fine considering that my rummynose tetras are spawning every three or four days.
:fish2:

I tend to overstock my tanks as well, but seriously, that offers no room for a group of fish that like to meander. What's the purpose? I just can't see how anyone could enjoy watching that many fish in such a tight space. Neon's aren't tiny, I've had them reach at least an inch or more. If the OP wants a school of fish, they need to get a larger tank.

Yeah, he could put an Oscar in there too.

Check out AqAdvisor - google it. Its not perfect but it gives some idea of whether something is possible.

I would go for 5-6 neons and a couple of cory cat fish. I;ve heard that neons don't like new tanks though - someone may correct me if I'm wrong!

Alternatively maybe think about nano fish like chilli rasboras which don't grow very big. I think there is a spreadsheet of nano fish and their adult sizes somewhere - does anyone have the link to post?

Back
Top Bottom