Biggest Cichlids you got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris J

Aquarium Advice Freak
Let me see 'em, all types/continents/species. And it doesn't have to be all around huge, big for its species is fine too. I wonder who's got the biggest shelly?

I'll start off with a couple of mine.

My 8" Oscar - Herman image-2870771076.jpg

My 8" Oscar - Peewee image-1734548734.jpg

My RES/3rd Oscar - Squirt
image-1564415943.jpg

Peewee, Herman, Hans(Parrot), Pluto(Albino Zebra), Donald and Daisy(Tinfoil Barbs)
image-1080517663.jpg

My 5" Orange Swimming Hockey Puck Hans
image-2422173190.jpg

They like to hangout on one side together and are bullied by my albino zebra that is half their size.

Chris J said:
They like to hangout on one side together and are bullied by my albino zebra that is half their size.

Sounds like oscars

Painted my background and added some more homemade fake plants.

image-4187435721.jpg

image-2085534660.jpg

image-3158172230.jpg

Chris J said:
Painted my background and added some more homemade fake plants.

Completely unrelated.. But how do you make homemade plants?

Oscars from the past. Kinda miss the planted/sand tank!

Attachments

• image-901599412.jpg
    image-901599412.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 314
  • image-1535752587.jpg
    image-1535752587.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 303
Bad photo, but this is my red devil. He's a pretty big boy lol

Attachments

• image-3279325577.jpg
    image-3279325577.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 262
I feed them a mix of tetra cichlid logs, pellets, flakes and crisps 2 times a day and frozen flounder and shrimp like twice a week and feeder fish like once a month.

The homemade plants are made of fake plants from Michaels arts and crafts store which I cut to size and make sure to remove any wire core from and then hot glue them into bottle caps for anchors. I buy 2-3 plants at like $5-$6 a piece and can make 3-4 large plants or 5-8 med/small plants from each. If you figure 3 tall plants at a LFS can cost $8-$12, it's not a ton of savings but every little bit helps.

Nice oscars Sensai, I can't imagine not having mine.

That's a big red devil maddy, I had one but had to rehome him due to him beating up on my oscars and killing my other parrot.

Chris J said:
I feed them a mix of tetra cichlid logs, pellets, flakes and crisps 2 times a day and frozen flounder and shrimp like twice a week and feeder fish like once a month.

The homemade plants are made of fake plants from Michaels arts and crafts store which I cut to size and make sure to remove any wire core from and then hot glue them into bottle caps for anchors. I buy 2-3 plants at like $5-$6 a piece and can make 3-4 large plants or 5-8 med/small plants from each. If you figure 3 tall plants at a LFS can cost $8-$12, it's not a ton of savings but every little bit helps.

How do you make the plants aquarium safe?

njvgl2090 said:
this is my 12 inch jagXtexas hybrid-he's nuts!

That fish is cool looking. I want one now. How big is he?

@jmay the plants are just plastic, I just rinse them and in they go. Just have to make sure you get plants that don't have a full wire core. The ones I get have about 3" of wire at the base of each stem, so I cut it just above that. Other than those 2 things I use normal hot glue and plastic bottle caps.

Chris J said:
@jmay the plants are just plastic, I just rinse them and in they go. Just have to make sure you get plants that don't have a full wire core. The ones I get have about 3" of wire at the base of each stem, so I cut it just above that. Other than those 2 things I use normal hot glue and plastic bottle caps.

That is awesome! Thank you so much! I've always wondered about doing that. When I make my first ones, which will hopefully be soon, I'll post a picture.

Back
Top Bottom