Buying a new Digital Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonzo82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on getting a digital camera in the next week or so. I was wondering what is the best camera for taking pictures of your aquarium is. I am wanting one that is not to cheap but will do a decent job. I am planning on spending around 250-350 dollars on it. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Moved to show off/photography forum.

You'll want to look for something with a macro function, the ability to set a manual white balance, and a good optical zoom. Get the most megapixels you can for a quality camera that has those three things above. You can look at different specs at dpreview.com and even compare them side by side, as well as look at sample photos.

Canon S400/410/500 are also good with builtin macro ability.

Unless you have a ton of light on your tank, a tripod is a major plus, and a free copy of NeatImage to post process your pictures shot at a high ISO setting (get rid of the noise/grain look).

I have a SONY DSC-1. Has a huge LCD, which is really nice trying to take pics of fast moving fishies. Takes good ones to.

Don't forget if you need a lot of close ups, you'll probably want manual focus (plus other comments for macro/tripod above). Otherwise, if it is a autofocus system, if it at least has a focus lock that you can fix after doing an autofocus, you will be able to get much better pictures.

Autofocus tends to not work so well through glass and water, so manual is best, focus lock is next best. The canon A80 has a nice focus feature that zooms in one spot in the center of the LCD for you to manual focus with. Very EASY!

I have a Sony CyberShot 3.2Mpix. The examples are in my gallery. All taken with that Sony. The camera is a couple years old.

GL

Canon PowerShot A95

Canon Powershot A95!

www.buydig.com .. I just got mine yesterday. One of the best you can get for $285!!! VERY Good camera... Has gotten superb reviews everywhere too...

Back
Top Bottom