Canon MP-E 65mm and Betta Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Howdy All. I'm always looking for an excuse to break out this lens, which is a lot of fun to play with, albeit limited in practicality and extremely difficult to use. This fry of B. splendens is on its side, yolk sac facing the viewer, The red spot to the right is the heart which I was able to see beating with a pair of high-powered reading glasses. TYVM. - Frank

betta_fry_1a_lr.jpg

This is amazing! I love bettas! Are you going to raise the fry too? I would love, if you have time, a series of pics showing the betta developement.

How far along in the hatching process is this fry? Is that still the egg wall on the bottom left? The heart and the beginnings of blood vessels (I'm guessing) - how stunning to capture that.

I did some googling on this lens and apparently it's not a real easy lens to master. Congrats!

What camera body do you have again? I have a Canon Rebel XTi. This lens would probably fit it but the Rebel body probably would not do the lens justice.

An t-iasg said:
This is amazing! I love bettas! Are you going to raise the fry too? I would love, if you have time, a series of pics showing the betta developement.
Well, I am attempting to raise the fry, but I did not gave any infusoria made and ready, so I am trying a DYI fry feeding technique. We'll see if it works. If I does, I will shoot the fish weekly.
How far along in the hatching process is this fry? Is that still the egg wall on the bottom left?
Within a few hours of hatching. Not part of the eggg, rather the base of the cuvette.
The heart and the beginnings of blood vessels (I'm guessing) - how stunning to capture that.
I was quite surprised, myself.
I did some googling on this lens and apparently it's not a real easy lens to master. Congrats!
I am far from mastering this lens. It requires someone not as lazy as myself. It is work, to use it properly. I don't have the patience. lol.
What camera body do you have again?
Canon 1Ds
I have a Canon Rebel XTi. This lens would probably fit it but the Rebel body probably would not do the lens justice.
That's more than enough body (sensor) for the lens, but it's hard to justify purchasing this lens as you rarely find a appropriate use for it. That being said, I'd rather have it, then not have it. - Frank

Wow! Already starting to look like a little fishy :) The iris is distinguishable from the pupil at this point, and the beginnings of the beautiful tail are visible. Is that a bloodworm in his stomach? Can he eat food like that yet? How many millimeters/centimeters long is he (or she - I know they can't be sexed yet) ?

An t-iasg said:
Wow! Already starting to look like a little fishy :) The iris is distinguishable from the pupil at this point, and the beginnings of the beautiful tail are visible. Is that a bloodworm in his stomach? Can he eat food like that yet? How many millimeters/centimeters long is he (or she - I know they can't be sexed yet) ?
Hi. At this point they are eating Hikari "First Bites." Still too small to eat BBS. They are as long as this: -- I have no way of measuring anything that small. lol. - Frank

Crittercrazy said:
Absolutely Amazing!!! 8O I am totally jealous of your talent!!
lol. That's very kind, but it's nothing more than a combination of good glass and determination. Anyone can do it. Really. - Frank

Amazing pics as usual!
You are a master photographer as well as a master breeder!

I was seriously considering this lens, but decided against it because of the incredibly small depth of field and the short focal length. (I mostly take macro photos of live insects outdoors.) How do you take such crisp photos of a moving subject with such an unforgiving lens?

Keep 'em coming - it's interesting to watch these fish develop.

Please. I already have a head the size of a bus.

OK. I'll admit it. These may be the two most difficult photos I have ever shot. Even I am amazed at the incredible level of detail in the developing tissue.

The technique is frustrating and tiring. I basically rock the camera, backward and foward on two of the tripod legs as the primary focusing method. It's insane, but there's really no other way. This critter would not stop moving, unless it was facing me, head on. It's always that way. Could not get it to move higher in the water, either, which made for an inferior shot. I may try this one again, tomorrow. lol. - Frank

Looks like you need to ask Santa for one of THESE !

I can imagine that these shots must have taken a long time to take. Beside accurate focusing, the fish had to be aligned EXACTLY perpendicular to your lens barrel I have a hard enough time getting good nose to tail focus because my subjects always seem to be tilting slightly away or towards me. And I'm using a 180 mm macro with alot more depth of field than your lens!

Focusing rails

Hi. I had a great macro focusing rail set-up and sold it almost immediately. It's useless for anything that moves. You really have to track the fish over a wide rang and all directions. In the end, it's nothing more than a very lucky grab shot that saves the session. The technique is very crude, but a good test of your patience and steady hand. - Frank

Back
Top Bottom