CC's Plant tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Check it out ladies and gents....

Comments appreciated.

Better pics later, especialy of my Madagascar Lace plant , you can't see the detail of it from this shot.

Beautiful tank !!!

Any tips ?

- Are you using CO2?
- Liquid Plant Food?
- Plant plugs (plant food that you stick into the substrate)?
- Any fancy substrates; Flourite, Peat Plates, etc... ?

I would like to add more plants into my tank and I love the look of yours.

The lillies have been difficult and dissapointing. Had 4 bulbs/roots, only 2 surviving still. neither thriving. Really surprised me because the ones I grow in my pond are so easy.

co2, yes, (had major probs with it at first, hopefully resolved now).

flourite substrate, though I'm now told that Schultz ( I think, still half asleep here) makes an aquasoil product for pond plants thats cheaper and better than flourite. Hearsay only, never tried it myself.

jobe's palm tree ferilizer sticks mixed in with substrate when tank was set up.

no liquid fertilizer yet, sooooooo many on the market, hard to decide which one to use, or go with home made.

marble angel

Marge the angel fish, in front of my Ozelot sword plant.

And his name is...

Homer!!!

Pic taken before massive cleaning of 12/22/02. Much to learn with camera still.

I cannot say for sure that I have won the battle with the algae, but at least for the time being, I have the upper hand.

BTW, i Invented a simple device for dealing with string algae. NOT staghorn, it don't work there.

I took a fat dowel rod like 1 inch diameter, 2 ft. long. Took a cheap comb, widest teeth comb i could find. cut the handle off the comb, and drilled and screwed the comb onto the end of the stick. I use it to reach in and tease the string algae off the plants, twirll it once or twice and remove it from the tank, works very well. Usefull and free in my case as I had all the stuff just lying around.

Mind you, this does not work on the staghorn algae hardly at all. that stuff is anchored to leaves or substrate HARD. with this tool, you just end up pulling up the plant.

Hi corvuscorax,

On Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:56 am, you wrote;
jobe's palm tree ferilizer sticks mixed in with substrate when tank was set up.

That's a wicked idea.
How did you come up with that ?
Did you read about it somewhere ?
Instead of mixing them in with the substrate, can you just stick them in at the base of the plants ?

I am really paranoid about introducing "non-aquarium stuff" into my tanks but those Jobe fertilizer sticks are Soooo much cheaper than the aquatic plant fertilizer plugs/tablets that you can stick into the substrate (at the base of the plants).

I'd love to get more info, if you have any.

PS. Your Madagascar Lace Plant is awesome. I gotta find me one.

http://www.thekrib.com/

Tons of archived plant related posts. Thats where I read about it. The guy I got my Co2 kit from threw in a pack of the spikes for free. Which is good because he didn't help me much with solving the probs I had w/the co2 system. All is solved now (w CO2 at least).

Back to the fertilizer spikes, Jobe's plant food spikes for Lush Ferns & Palms. The key is supposed to be that they are 16-2-6, middle # phosphate, supposed to keep it low, to discourage algae. I don't totally understand it but did it anyway!. Put in like 1 spike every 4-5 inches, 2 inches deep when setting up. Yes, you can put them near the roots of plants, I have to check again to see how much, how often. I do know fairly deep, that way fert. doesnt get into the water column easily and cause an algae bloom. Hope this helps.

The Krib gets really heavy into science, over my head sometimes. All I know is the plant roots are awesome, I look from underneath the tank, roots everywhere.

Madagascar lace was 1/2 the reason I wanted to do this tank in the first place. I saw one at a public Aquarium somewhere years ago, and my girlfriend (at the time) had to drag me away from the display after a while. I just love 'em! Ordered mine online, but now discovered a fish store 45 minutes away with every plant I've ever heard of. Going there soon.

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom