Closeup Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeti

Aquarium Advice Freak
how the heck do you manage to snap off a good picture in the tank? all mine come out fuzzy or out of focus, no matter how I mess with the settings, the ones that did look decent were either really blue or really yellow or something.. any strategies for getting great closeups?

Im using a 5.1mpx digital camera loaded with features so if you have any suggestions with those features..

thanks!

1. Use your macro feature.
2. Turn off the lights in the room.
3. Turning the lights on in the tank after being dark for a while is just like waking a human in the middle of the night. The fish aren't so fast.
4. Try baiting them closer with food.
5. Patience.

Don't use the zoom. Try to steady the camera on a surface like a tripod or table.

Moved to the Photograhy forum.

If your camera is auto focus you are taking photos of the front of your tank. Most cameras will focus when you push the button down half way. Just hold the button half way down and move the distance the fish is away from the front of the tank, or if you can use manual focus. Also plexi will always look out of focus.

If they are turning blue or yellow check your white balance. Chances are the camera is set to auto white balance. If the majority of the light coming into the lens is incandescent, your tank is going to appear excessively blue because the tank uses fluorescent lights, and vice versa.

thanks for the tips, unfortunately i dont have a tripod but I can muster up a table and a stack of books or something..

We don't have a tripod either but when I balance the camera on a table or stack of books the pictures are a LOT clearer.

Fishyfanatic said:
We don't have a tripod either but when I balance the camera on a table or stack of books the pictures are a LOT clearer.

There are a lot of things you can do without a tripod. Stacking on solid objects is probably your best bet. You can brace your arms into your body and control your breathing if that's not available.

also..since its a point and shoot, you could switch it to manual mode and do things the right way :) Use faster shutter times. In order to do this you'll need to open your apperture up(think 4 or 5.6) and adjust your ISO if possible.

yeah I set my ISO to 200 and held my breath when snapping the shot, it helped a lot..
Heres a few with some soft focus of my Platinum Lyretail Molly and some tetras:
img_800026_0_58844d7b96411652310559029085f677.jpg

img_800026_1_a70230648d0994abcc0a5a1a7dc00938.jpg

img_800026_2_e82d2f0a8d4200c318f1301013d30bd3.jpg

hey anybody know what kinda tetras those are btw?

Back
Top Bottom