Coconut Huts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not exactly technical, but I made coconut huts over the weekend. Here are two that are in the 10 gal fry tank.

Hut in winter

img2583.jpg

Hut in summer

img2584.jpg

:lol:

Thats really cool! Would be great crayfish houses!

Did you have to waterlog them, or did they sink? I keep wanting to think that they float :\

They sink without a problem. You just have to get all the air out of the hut when putting in the tank. I drilled a hole at the top of each of the 4 huts, that way we wouldn't have a problem with them ever floating if air got inside. They were really easy to make and the fry love them. I'm going to put a few in our 150 for some of those fry.

Most grocery stores carry coconut's in the produce department, I know our Meijer store carries them, This is an awesome idea.

Ok thanks. I asked my dad today and he said he can just buy me a whole coconut. Can't wait to get them in my aquarium. So should I take any special precautions to coconuts? Like do anything special to them before I put them in my aquarium???

coconuts are wonderful little territories for my rams...i have two coconuts with java moss growing on them at opposite sides of the tank and the rams just stay there staring at each other, wonderful! lol

do you take the coconut part out and just use the shell? im not a coconut person so have no idea. when i say coconut part i mean the white stuff.

Cool. It would be neat to attached Java Moss to the huts too.
I am in the process of doing that right now. They are growing in a sunless window in my mudroom. Only about a week to go and I put them in my tanks...yay!
You can also just buy half coconut shells at the petstore. They are usually in the hermit crab section. I also ordered one from Big Al's and I think Drs. Foster and Smith have them! I will take pictures of mine today and also when I get them in my tanks.

DIY is the fun part!

It's not too difficult to do. Another member PMd me for the instructions but I think I'll post them here too for those that are interested in making them.

1) The hardest step. Cut a coconut in half. This is easier said than done. We used a dremel tool with a cutting disk. A hack saw will work but takes a LONG time. The dremel tool takes a while too but is the fastest method we have used.

2) Drain coconut juice and spoon out all of the coconut. ALL of it. This takes a while too because you have to ensure ALL of the coconut is out otherwise it will rot in your tank. The inside of the shell should be even in color and medium to light brown. The fresher the coconut, the easier it is to get the meat out.

3) Using the dremel tool or saw, cut an opening or two (or 3 or 4) on the sides so the fish can get in and out. The size of the hole will depend on the fish and purpose. We have a few in the 150 Cichlid tank for the fry. The holes are smaller so the fry can get in and out but the adults can't get to them.

4) Drill a hole on the top in the back. This will make sure it stays submerged.

5) Clean it in the sink with hot water.

6) Insert in tank.

I'd say it took me about an hour or so from start to finish. It's a fun project and the fish LOVE it. Good luck! And once you get it done, post pics.

Here are my new coconut huts with java moss. One is in my 5g Hex and the other is in my 29g. I like how they turned out. :p

Back
Top Bottom