Cool find at LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Terrance said:
Oh I've been there. Its a great fish store. I forgot all about it. I'll check it out this weekend.

I also go to "A Place for Pets" in Burien.
Then there is "Pet-Pourri" in Everette
And Sierra Pet & Fish in Renton
Still need to go to Fishaholics.

Pet-pourri is my normal stomping ground, you wouldn't happen to be a Member of GSAS would you?!

I started getting into the aquarium hobby after their last meeting. I read on their website that they do different kinds of fish events during every meeting, so I might go to attend some meetings starting in Sept. I added them on Facebook, and seems like they have a picnic coming up. Are you part of GSAS?

Terrance said:
I started getting into the aquarium hobby after their last meeting. I read on their website that they do different kinds of fish events during every meeting, so I might go to attend some meetings starting in Sept. I added them on Facebook, and seems like they have a picnic coming up. Are you part of GSAS?

Yea I am I joined almost a month ago now, great group of people always willing to help out. Not to mention GSAS member s get discounts at a fair few local fish stores.

I seem to recall it was like 30 bucks or so

I called today and was told that it cost $99.99 USD :eek: before tax!

There another place I know that sell Hairy Puffer for $70, at Midway Tropical Fish in Des Moines. I'll get good hairy next month if I can get another tank.

I'll look into joining GSAS (y)

Terrance said:
I called today and was told that it cost $99.99 USD :eek: before tax!

There another place I know that sell Hairy Puffer for $70, at Midway Tropical Fish in Des Moines. I'll get good hairy next month if I can get another tank.

I'll look into joining GSAS (y)

$99 holy cow! Amazing little fish but I don't know if I could part with that much for one fish.

They're expensively rare and can live 10+ years, so maybe $70 (plus tax) is worth it. The people who has owned these guys absolutely loved them, but these people are also puffer lovers lol.

The only thing stopping me from buying is my wife :(

Terrance said:
They're expensively rare and can live 10+ years, so maybe $70 (plus tax) is worth it. The people who has owned these guys absolutely loved them, but these people are also puffer lovers lol.

The only thing stopping me from buying is my wife :(

That makes it a little different then, if a fish is going to live that long I could justify the cost. Can they live in fresh or do they need to be converted to brackish? Would a 20L -29 gallon be enough for one?

They are pure freshwater fish. I visited the Fish Store today and saw the little guy. He was less than 2 inches. 29gal is enough for one puffer.

Edit: This is what they look like as a full adult. I thought he was $70, but instead he was $80. I'm going to Portland to find one for $65 without tax.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Terrance said:
They are pure freshwater fish.

Metalheadx said : I thought for some reason these guys were brackish , cause at one of my LFS where I saw some at , they were in there brackish tanks with some angels .

ilostnemo said:
angels arent brackish

Oh I'm not saying that they are I'm saying they were in a brackish tank or at least that's what one of the noob's that work there said that was "there" brackish tank , I also have read around also that angelfish can thrive in brackish water , not sure if true , I know growing up any angels we had lived in just freshwater !

Bad LFS. Tell them to do their research on hairy puffers, but they probably won't listen to you.

I decided not to buy a hairy because I have too many tanks. Now I'm just going to keep my top 6-7 favorite puffers. Hairy barely missed the list.

Are these fish loners or can they go with other fish or its own type

Loners and very territorial. One of these puffs need a long footprint tank, like a 20 long or a standard 29 gallon tanks would be ok. They are lurker hunters, so you will see them hiding in the caves and coming out when hungry.

Back
Top Bottom