Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Added 8 pots of val up back of tank to replace ambulia and hoping it does well (but not too well and spreads quickly haha). It did cross my mind that I ditched about a bucket of the stuff a few years ago and here I was buying more :)

Have been unable to replace the CO2 bottle so have hooked up the small one which generally lasts several months. The tunz diffuser I removed the impeller cover off is going well - in fact a little too well and bubbles are getting blown out the bottom before getting chopped up sigh. Will see how it goes and maybe put cover back on (soon as I find it).

Water leak detectors connected to wifi. Cheap ones - they work but I need to ask someone to set them off and see if I get a message outside house at shops or something. Placed one near tank and one in kitchen.

d28add525b6dc515ad7a812b1f60af8d.jpg

Finally replaced the large bottle of CO2 yay. Will let the small one keep running until empty.

Replanted the val and repositioned the diffuser to be more vertical. All working! Then I noticed one of the leaves from the val was over diffuser intake but somehow it all works great. Soooo crossed fingers and tip-toed away.

I'm still contemplating CO2 - not sure on it mainly because of either killing my fish with a bad setting or malfunction, or remembering to fill the bottles! My DH bought a couple water detector things for the water heater and I might have to grab one of those.

Hahahaha "tip-toed" away!!!

It still works fine amazingly - very strange. I think the small bottle will last several months and the large one about 4 or 5 months. Large bottle is about 6kg so about 12 pounds I guess. Expensive to get first one but after that just refills or bottle swaps luckily.

Another water change in main tank and nothing bad to report! :) Plants stayed put, everything works and driftwood has not floated off on the tide.

So quick water change and then (sigh) I though quick clean of shrimp tank. In the end lots of scrubbing off green spot algae, more tape under light and I’m wondering if tank is getting more indirect light now blinds have been removed. Looks nice now though.

Another water change in main tank and nothing bad to report! [emoji4] Plants stayed put, everything works and driftwood has not floated off on the tide.

So quick water change and then (sigh) I though quick clean of shrimp tank. In the end lots of scrubbing off green spot algae, more tape under light and I’m wondering if tank is getting more indirect light now blinds have been removed. Looks nice now though.

I definitely see the correlation between high light and GSA. My tank is only running 30 PAR maximum and can’t see any. Cyno beneath the substrate line has reared its ugly head since reinstating water changes and fert dosing.

One of the Cryptoheros Septemfasciatus (apparently, another auction impulse buy) channelled his inner yoyo loach and managed to escape the tank somehow. All covers on and plastic around pipes/cords (but only escape area possible).

Picked up to bin and surprised to find still alive after 2 metre fall. Into tank and disappeared into plants so seemed ok. Fingers crossed.

Tank has been pretty quiet. Plants growing although slowly. Some of the val has a bit of height.

Swapped out the tunze CO2 diffuser with the spare one. Hoping this one doesn’t play up as much.

Also found out my torch is water-proof to at least a depth of two and a half feet :)

Still works fine surprisingly. Rolled off tank cover and straight to bottom back of tank. Luckily spotted it straight away as was on. Plant scissors and other gear fall in sometimes and can be bit of a hunt of did I put it away or did it drop [emoji4]

Really can’t recommend the tunz CO2 diffuser. The only good thing for me is that it’s all in tank and no cutting of filter pipes.

Put a twist tie on the old one to keep plastic tube and powerhead from popping apart. That night it developed a death rattle so had to pull it apart. Another 20 minutes gone fiddling around with it and getting lights off/on.

Thinking of throwing the old quad t5ho out and ramping up the LED. Would be much easier to just take the led light off/on.

Bit of an update. The tunz powerheads have been going ok - I’ve changed over to doing water changes and just leaving everything running. Just got to be careful not to let water level go below heaters…

The t5ho was down to two bulbs working. Played around with it and still only two bulbs working (but different spots haha) so have ditched it.

Running the led light at a higher level and ordered another light. Will see how it goes but converted to all LEDs on all tanks :)

Went to lfs last weekend to get a couple of punnets of val but they ‘accidentally’ slipped in a few more and I came back with a dozen punnets (at least the fish will dine well).

Low tech tetra tank running fine. Bit of green algae on glass creeping in.

Keep meaning to pack up the 5 gallon ninja shrimp tank but still running on kitchen bench with lots of babies last time I looked.

And looked at the outdoor rainwater tank (erm, maybe 800 gallons) of converting to an outdoor goldfish tank running a leftover pool filter. House committee has so far rejected plans however still thinking about it.

Bit of an update. The tunz powerheads have been going ok - I’ve changed over to doing water changes and just leaving everything running. Just got to be careful not to let water level go below heaters…

The t5ho was down to two bulbs working. Played around with it and still only two bulbs working (but different spots haha) so have ditched it.

Running the led light at a higher level and ordered another light. Will see how it goes but converted to all LEDs on all tanks :)

Went to lfs last weekend to get a couple of punnets of val but they ‘accidentally’ slipped in a few more and I came back with a dozen punnets (at least the fish will dine well).

Low tech tetra tank running fine. Bit of green algae on glass creeping in.

Keep meaning to pack up the 5 gallon ninja shrimp tank but still running on kitchen bench with lots of babies last time I looked.

And looked at the outdoor rainwater tank (erm, maybe 800 gallons) of converting to an outdoor goldfish tank running a leftover pool filter. House committee has so far rejected plans however still thinking about it.

It's hard to part with a tank which is producing and happy, and suuuuuper easy to care for.

And a 800 gallon/?/? woot! I would love that. At my place it would be hard to hide that from the home owner association... It might be possible for me to add a water feature on the deck of maybe 200G, used to have 125G pond liner pond and no one said anything because it was not visible from the street :brows: Now can have a water feature... Can you have a "water feature" or a pool - for fish?

How long have been running the new LED? I like that they use little electricity, but I feel like I have a hard time dialing in the lighting time, probably because I have somewhat strong lights now and no CO2. Mine are programmable if one can figure it out. I tried last time before I had to be away from home but wasn't quite successful. :oops: hahaha... will enlist DH's help finally after a year.

I still don’t feel the LEDs are really great here (or are so expensive), but seeing more posts on planted tanks.

The nemo LED I had for extra light but I did like the t5ho that I could put in say 3 pink bulbs and 1 white one at front. The LED I’ve ordered is hydroponic ($90 vs $240 for reasonable aquarium led) and plan is to put that behind the nemo light (mainly white light) so no red hue to tank.

In practice I never found that ideal but will try it.

I’ve missed a few chances to get cherry shrimp here as non-native shrimp not sold in stores. Which I’ve always found a bit odd given the amount of non-native fish that are but oh well.

Yes, they seem to be tolerated to be kept by hobbyists (I think that ship had sailed) but can’t be sold. Or at least can’t be sold in shops. Local waterways are rife with African cichlids so can kind of understand it. Somebody said they assume a hobbyist buying from another hobbyist won’t just dump them 6 months later (and they’re not really cheap either). Bit of a grey area although for society auction we stick to same rules as shops.

You wouldn't want a bad reputation with the Society's responsibilities.

I hope you can get a hold of some. Maybe a way to get on a hobbyist's waiting list???

Back
Top Bottom