Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspect I have a problem caused by the micros. Every time I ask people who seem to be doing very well they are either dosing lightly or only every now and then. Jump over to my thread and I'll explain. Cheers Dela.

If only plastic plants looked any good - sometimes I think plants aren't worth the aggravation.

If only plastic plants looked any good - sometimes I think plants aren't worth the aggravation.

That's true sometimes. MTS is a time consuming issue for me. Cutting back to wc and feeding would take so much less time effort and money. The sad fact is that I love my plants probably equally as much as the fish. And to top things off I still can't stop buying tanks ��

Lol - I'd love to get another tank but I know it wouldn't stop there :)

Did a water change yesterday and some plant pruning. The val has also latched onto the idea of sending out runners so starting to prune it back. Last weeks replanted cuttings are nicely sending up new shoots.

Also found the third young yoyo loach that I thought had gone missing so all good. Feel like some mother hen worrying if they have found a gap and jumped.

Today hopefully I'll get some water chemistry readings.

I'd love to send some - Western Australia unfortunately. The baby java fern plantlets I'm just ditching now as no room as I rake them off the older leaves.

Thanks! I know, I wish they weren't just going as garden compost.

I've tried a discarded java fern in the betta tank for a few weeks. This is high light, no co2, no ferts. All leaves are going from dark green to light, mottled green. It seems to be hanging in there, maybe less chlorophyll. Doing better than the fast growing hydro which tried but looked dreadful.

Just saw this link on leaf colours which I thought interesting:

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek/fallcolr/fallcolr.html

(first 6 paragraphs).

Finally got around to testing the tank chemistry. Picked up a calcium test kit for the pool. Tried it out on the fish tank and seemed to make sense but was a little hard to follow instructions to get the right end colour.

Nitrate - 5ppm (had increased potassium nitrate ferts, might have to lift again as this is after a few weeks of plant pruning and has been low for a bit now. Still plants seem ok).

Phosphate - 2ppm (also a little low to normal).

Gh - 8 (143ppm).
Calcium - 5 (100ppm).
KH - 7 (125ppm).
PH - 6.5 (matches ph probe with CO2 injection so all seems good).

The LED light over the betta tank failed. Yet another LED light off to the bin. Going to hunt around for a low powered one and try a low-tech system. See if Java Fern survives. Should give a good excuse to visit a few shops.

Last edited:
The LED light over the betta tank failed. Yet another LED light off to the bin. Going to hunt around for a low powered one and try a low-tech system. See if Java Fern survives. Should give a good excuse to visit a few shops.

Java will survive but I shudder to think about you and your wallet alone in the lfs.

Hahaha I don't think I know anyone who spends more time in the LFS. Not good about those LEDs though. You'd expect a bit better quality.

Ah, well this is harsh. I wouldn't be quite alone - lfs staff are happy to tag along to carry stuff to under counter when arms get full :) Er, cause lights are bulky and don't want to knock stuff off shelves, something, something.

I know, this was meant to be a pretty decent led for small planted tanks. I just don't get the mileage out of leds for some reason. Maybe it's the heat over summers or something.

The Java was I think finding that light too high so maybe a good thing. I have a small dual t5ho which I'm guessing same issue.

What could I get for a 5gal tank? I was thinking either t8 or (cough) dimmable led?

At the moment the Java is changing from dark green leaves from DT to light green, mottled leaves. Tank gets no ferts or co2.

Ah, well this is harsh. I wouldn't be quite alone - lfs staff are happy to tag along to carry stuff to under counter when arms get full :) Er, cause lights are bulky and don't want to knock stuff off shelves, something, something.

I know, this was meant to be a pretty decent led for small planted tanks. I just don't get the mileage out of leds for some reason. Maybe it's the heat over summers or something.

The Java was I think finding that light too high so maybe a good thing. I have a small dual t5ho which I'm guessing same issue.

What could I get for a 5gal tank? I was thinking either t8 or (cough) dimmable led?

At the moment the Java is changing from dark green leaves from DT to light green, mottled leaves. Tank gets no ferts or co2.

Not sure on the light. I don't really know many that are obtainable here let alone in AUS.

I think plants have a pretty rough time going from high co2 to low. It will take some time to adjust fully.

Finnex Stingray has some good reviews but I do not know if it is dimmable. The newer bar style. (I ended up getting an oval type older model and it might be good for a 2-3G.)

Azoo mini and Beamsworks.

Not sure on the light. I don't really know many that are obtainable here let alone in AUS.

I think plants have a pretty rough time going from high co2 to low. It will take some time to adjust fully.

Ah, thanks - I'll persist with it.

Finnex Stingray has some good reviews but I do not know if it is dimmable. The newer bar style. (I ended up getting an oval type older model and it might be good for a 2-3G.)

Azoo mini and Beamsworks.

Many thanks, I'll check these out and see what I can find.

Online shopping and a credit card are my weakness. I find the lfs may have the fish. But equipment and plant selection are better online.

Yes, I'm a bit worried as more selection online but the local society is running a comp where you buy stuff at certain stores and go into barrel to win prizes and such. I need to try and win a fish tank but it would be nice to try these US lights I hear so much about. If I could only win the fish tank, then I would need another light - this might be the approach to take.

Finally got the PAR meter hooked up. So far it's downloaded 300 readings (sigh) so hoping that stops soon so I can get a reading today.

Yikes, maybe August! That's the date stamp on the last file I have. Still downloading - I think it takes a reading every 10 minutes or every hour. Sigh - this could take a bit.

Back
Top Bottom