Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, its a little tentative but this PAR reading is 67 (best=68, worse=59). The reading from August is 89 so quite a drop. The plants are probably blocking light a bit but it looks like last time I wasn't running the second bank of blue lights on the LED and am now running that at 50%.

Kelvin has shifted from 6525 to 5625 degK. I guess this suggests a shift to a more reddish light but looking at the spectrum loss it looks pretty consistent across blues, greens and reds. If anything I would of said I have lost more red light so idk on sprectrum shift as lights age. Anyways got 4 bulbs sitting there for the t5ho so might start swapping them out. I think the bulbs are bout 9 months old now.

I wish I could borrow that PAR meter lol. Would be interesting to see what my PAR is. I can grow Monte Carlo at 30cm so I'm happy at the mo. Was considering a second fixture (gulp)

Saying that though don't you have an LED and Fluorescent? Would have expected more maybe?

Yes, got both running now. I wonder how good my t5ho reflectors are but same thought that both LEDs and a quad t5ho should be heaps. Maybe the plant was blocking more light than I thought. Planning to replace the red bulbs over xmass and see if any lift in PAR. Shame you are not in Perth (or I in UK) as could just drop it around :)

Another flower has popped up at front of tank. I can keep them alive now (yay!) and collected a few dead flowers to try growing seeds. Not actually sure I have any seeds though. I saw a few black specks on the flowers which I thought could be seeds but yet to check out (just been cutting flowers off whenever looked bad). A work in progress still.

I wish I knew on the seeds. I see little black specks and I've kept about 4 flowers now to try planting but can't actually see anything I would call a seed. Was just going to try planting the chopped up flower these holidays.

(sorry, double post with computer troubles).

The angelfish have laid eggs!! No idea what to do next? I'm hoping they will fend for themselves as have no spare tank but the eggs are right where the congo tetras like to hang out. Can I just leave them on the leaf? Should I back off on ferts dosing? Cut out the glut and carbonate dosing perhaps at least?

That's assuming they are even fertile as this would be the first time. One previous pair did lay eggs but they disappeared.

74564-albums13177-picture70772.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70773.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70774.jpg

Congratulations! I am not familiar with fish breeding. But way back in the 70's my stepmom raised Angels and never removed the eggs. There were guppies in there too. Perhaps this kept the population growth from exploding.

I should check out the stores to see what is available in case maybe.

If the store had been open I might have been tempted to get a spare tank but after cleaning the tank and shifting plants my enthusiasm was down.

Still hating the left side of the tank plants. Debating on just pulling the entire lot out.

Last edited:
I agree :)

The right side I'm happy with. Solid mass of java ferns with red stem plants poking through.

Front is ok. Back I think I need another tall plant. The crypts (maybe) have finally started getting some mass to them but the flowering plant dwarfs everything. Should leave it all alone....

The left side just looks badly laid out and full of stems with no leaves. Plus the mystery hygro doing not much. Might leave the ferns at the front and try to get a bushy stem plant going.

Yoyo loaches - sleep anywhere. No idea why this one is wedged in the filter bracket. I'm kindly assuming it was chasing pond snails and afternoon nap time rolled around.

Found all three young ones (one looked rolled over dead on substrate but was also asleep). They look a bit skinny to me still but seem to be doing ok.

74564-albums13177-picture70792.jpg

Shortly after I moved to my larger tank, my angels laid eggs. Being that it was a new start up and not thinking they were eggs, I was worried of some new algae issue and removed the eggs before asking for identification. I felt so bad afterwards.

The Yoyo loach thing sounds scary to see that odd sleeping all the time :eek: They are pretty cute though. I have a fish which has a similar issue thin but not skinny but not really at a size I would prefer. I understand the concern.

I've had Kuhlii loaches sleep in odd positions before, but it was when the tank didn't have much cover. You have plenty of cover in this tank, so maybe the fish are just oddballs haha.

These are just oddballs :) I've got heaps of photos of the loaches looking dead to the world in the morning. No idea what they get up to when the lights go out - must spend all night searching for snails or something.

Cleaned one of the canister filters and once again wished it was self-priming. :)

Cleaned up plants on the left side and really should pull that hygro at the back out. Looks pretty terrible and not doing well. Left it for moment.

Ended up shifting PAR meter to a float under the t5ho. Not ideal but at least not covered by plants there. Hoping to get readings tonight.

Away camping so trying to find the instructions for the automatic feeder. Busy, busy, busy.....

Back
Top Bottom