Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been a rough day or two. Came back from camping to find no dead fish (yay), but the newly cleaned canister filter was now sucking air. Figured it was seal so dragged it out and re-seated. Air problem solved as it then started leaking badly. As in water pouring out either side of head.

Back outside and tried Vaseline on o-ring and checked for cracks, etc. Several attempts later I gave up.

Went out today and bought a replacement. Same filter so I could use sponges from old one and I knew how to set it up.

I wish I could borrow that PAR meter lol. Would be interesting to see what my PAR is. I can grow Monte Carlo at 30cm so I'm happy at the mo. Was considering a second fixture (gulp)

Saying that though don't you have an LED and Fluorescent? Would have expected more maybe?
At least Monte Carlo is easier an less demanding the dwarf baby tears I Wana par meter as well. Got a brand new TDs meter
Sadly all eggs vanished over night. Stupid spot to guard eggs. Still that's encouraging that it might be possible.

Been a rough day or two. Came back from camping to find no dead fish (yay), but the newly cleaned canister filter was now sucking air. Figured it was seal so dragged it out and re-seated. Air problem solved as it then started leaking badly. As in water pouring out either side of head.

Back outside and tried Vaseline on o-ring and checked for cracks, etc. Several attempts later I gave up.

Went out today and bought a replacement. Same filter so I could use sponges from old one and I knew how to set it up.

Ouch. This made me take a minute and order a spare O ring for my new 703...

Glad that you were there for the leaking part.

Fish are happy to see you?

Good point I need to order a maintenance kit too for my canister.

Fish weren't too excited. The auto feeder must of been working ok :)

It was really annoying, the canister filter was fine outside filled but leaked under pressure. Even with the local society discount the new one was way too expensive at lfs compared to online but I wanted to get it sorted and the lfs have been generous for the raffle table at meetings. (Plus at the moment for every $20 spent I get a raffle ticket with first prize a tank). But mainly I was just fed up and wanted it working, not flooding the furniture.

I used old sponge only and added a bottle of seachem seed I'd won so planning on testing ammonia to see if it does lift at all.

Plants are looking at bit off. Need to replace bulbs and start dosing nitrates properly I think.

Fish weren't too excited. The auto feeder must of been working ok :)

It was really annoying, the canister filter was fine outside filled but leaked under pressure. Even with the local society discount the new one was way too expensive at lfs compared to online but I wanted to get it sorted and the lfs have been generous for the raffle table at meetings. (Plus at the moment for every $20 spent I get a raffle ticket with first prize a tank). But mainly I was just fed up and wanted it working, not flooding the furniture.

I used old sponge only and added a bottle of seachem seed I'd won so planning on testing ammonia to see if it does lift at all.

Plants are looking at bit off. Need to replace bulbs and start dosing nitrates properly I think.

What make is that filter out of curiosity? Sorry if I missed that.

Water test results after new filter are done. I thought it would be interesting as replaced filter makes up probably 2/3 of filtration.

Ammonia is 0.25 or bit less. Nitrites are 0 and nitrates 5ppm. So pretty happy with ammonia. Nitrates I'm going to start specifically dosing for and lift a little.

What make is that filter out of curiosity? Sorry if I missed that.

Filter is a Aqua One 2700 UVC Nautilus. It's ok, always been a pain to get canister head seated. Filter is 22 litres and pretty much the largest I found back then I can fit in the cabinet. I don't like the UV bulb but it's nice to be just sitting looking at tank today with (almost) nothing to do.

http://thereefshop.com.au/index.php...d=2039&zenid=4d5e56a8bd19b8b4a042a8031744fdf0

I've got a small Aqua One about half the size in the other cabinet. The only major complaint I have is there is no priming feature, I go back and forth with little jugs of water to fill it up.

I looked at the Fluval FX4 and FX6 but these wouldn't fit in cabinet (my wallet thanked me).

Sadly time has gotten away from me. I don't know where the holidays went. I have been trimming the red stem plants to get them more bushy but never got around to getting some more plants for left side.

Will post a pic today. The giant hydro has dropped a lot of leaves, got curled leaves and pinholes on others so planning on more regular ferts dosing and getting the bulbs swapped out on the t5ho. No algae though and everything working properly now :)

Tank looking blah, you can see the giant hygro stem plant on the left above angelfish has dropped all its lower leaves. Started dosing nitrates and waiting for light to cool down to swap over bulbs.

74564-albums13177-picture70815.jpg

PAR reading on light at 1ft depth was 67. PAR reading on surface float (so light not blocked by plants) is 83. These are on the old bulbs which are < a year old.

New bulbs show PAR of 139. Will see how it goes and might not change all bulbs at once next time.

One bulb failed so actually only replaced 3 bulbs and kept an old one. Was all excited about a spectrum shift until I checked and found I changed the bulb type :) Guess at least I know that does work somewhat.

Ideally I'd have the PAR meter on the substrate somewhere but I need a special little stand for it or can try the suction cap on glass maybe next time.

The fact that you have a PAR meter to begin with is pretty cool. I can only trust what gets posted for the fixtures I am using.
Interesting data regarding new/old bulbs.
That's odd about the lead drop with the hygro.

It's come in really handy I think. Admittedly I don't get anything posted really on PAR values.

I did get told not to change all bulbs at once, now I can see why :)

Bulb life is a lot less than I've been hoping for off these readings. There is some spectrum shift but it's mainly the PAR loss I think giving issues. Haven't been keeping good records but it looks like I'll be replacing bulbs every 6 months.

The bulb cost is pretty high but on the other hand I'm getting no algae so will probably leave for moment.

In other news the CO2 bottle has run out so off to get a replacement today.

This hygro is pretty fussy. Wants high potassium and high light or it doesn't do much. I'm not sure if the low nitrates of 5ppm has been an issue. Ordered more ferts last night (and the auto betta feeder).

On the betta I did a water change yesterday while he sits in his container. Then acclimatise him back. He must of been grumpy as had a go at my fingers on final release, swam back into container just to say he could, another go at fingers and off he went finally. No special treats for him!

That is quite the difference in PAR! Gradual replacement of the bulbs to get back up on the numbers so you don't fry the plants would be good. How are the plants doing with the big change.

It's come in really handy I think. Admittedly I don't get anything posted really on PAR values.

I did get told not to change all bulbs at once, now I can see why :)

Bulb life is a lot less than I've been hoping for off these readings. There is some spectrum shift but it's mainly the PAR loss I think giving issues. Haven't been keeping good records but it looks like I'll be replacing bulbs every 6 months.

The bulb cost is pretty high but on the other hand I'm getting no algae so will probably leave for moment.

In other news the CO2 bottle has run out so off to get a replacement today.

This hygro is pretty fussy. Wants high potassium and high light or it doesn't do much. I'm not sure if the low nitrates of 5ppm has been an issue. Ordered more ferts last night (and the auto betta feeder).

On the betta I did a water change yesterday while he sits in his container. Then acclimatise him back. He must of been grumpy as had a go at my fingers on final release, swam back into container just to say he could, another go at fingers and off he went finally. No special treats for him!

I agree that is some reduction In PAR. I wonder if the old bulbs are the reason algae subsided?

Yeah definitely get those nitrogen levels up. I reckon at that PAR with that amount of plants your nutrients are being used up more quickly then you think.

Edit: I think I have fallen in to that trap since I stopped using soil.

Last edited:
That is quite the difference in PAR! Gradual replacement of the bulbs to get back up on the numbers so you don't fry the plants would be good. How are the plants doing with the big change.

Possibly running out of CO2 after changing bulbs is not a good idea :) Dropped bottle at craft shop but no refills available. Beer people must get grumpy on these things as they have someone doing a special run to get it filled.

Still going to take two days so hooked up the small spare bottle I kept for pretty much this reason.

Yes, this will be interesting - I've been warned not to do this and see why now. Fingers crossed shoots start appearing at substrate else only myself to blame. So far all the same.

I agree that is some reduction In PAR. I wonder if the old bulbs are the reason algae subsided?

Yeah definitely get those nitrogen levels up. I reckon at that PAR with that amount of plants your nutrients are being used up more quickly then you think.

Edit: I think I have fallen in to that trap since I stopped using soil.

It's a really good question on algae. Wondering the same for GSA. Will post how it goes.

Ah, handy info on the soil and PAR - I'll work nitrate dosing into a regular schedule. I know I've recorded 0 nitrates before in tap but it's been around 5ppm for so long in tank I'm wondering if there is a minimum nitrate level plants just can't use (maybe?). Tank is overstocked else I'd use this as an excuse to get more fish.

I'd be a bit curious about the test kit readings. Perhaps it is wrong or inaccurate or just guessing?

I'd be looking at the hygro for answers. Not the test kit. Leaf dropping? Co2 perhaps? Nitrogen could very well be. From the plants point of view. What would be the point of storing nutrients in old growth if a nutrient was a limiting factor?

You could always trim the hygro and throw the bottom reducing its requirements for both.

Back
Top Bottom