Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #251
Elephant nose Finatic!
 
shellyx's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,177
Sorry for your loss such beautiful looking fish!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
__________________

__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and inverts.
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails.
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #252
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 10,492
Many thanks, I know - all a bit sad. Took readings anyway and got 0 ammonia and nitrite, ~20ppm nitrate, 2ppm phosphate and 6.8 ph (co2 running). Bit strange but hoping it doesn't repeat.


Tried running the LED light with both banks on but got a PAR of 140 (1ft deep) so went back and tested with just the white light bank on (as I had been running). PAR there was 90 which was a little above the previous reading of 60 in early June... Especially as I thought the t5ho's might have started to decay a little. I'm hoping this reflects all the plants being removed near-surface and not the par meter going. So just left lighting as is.

Next week I'll clean the internal filter and might replace the pads. Also plan to try lifting the CO2 bps rate a little now it is running well.
__________________

__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #253
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 4,115
Hi Dela what BPS are you running on this tank?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #254
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 7,507
[QUOTE=Delapool;3372129] I'd say in the last few weeks about a 5gal or 20litre bucket of plants have been thrown out (that was tricky to explain how I was buying more plants after throwing out other plants ).

Isn't that the tricky part!? And you think keeping the fish is tricky it's keeping the spouse appeased.
__________________

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #255
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 10,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Hi Dela what BPS are you running on this tank?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's about 2bps on either side of tank so 4bps in total. I thought ph had gone lower but the rest of the family disagreed. I do run the canister filters part of the time co2 is on so think I lose a bit there. Ideally I'd have them off completely for co2 run time and on completely for filtering so have sort of compromised. It's probably something that could be set up better.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #256
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 10,492
[QUOTE=Autumnsky;3373278]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I'd say in the last few weeks about a 5gal or 20litre bucket of plants have been thrown out (that was tricky to explain how I was buying more plants after throwing out other plants ).



Isn't that the tricky part!? And you think keeping the fish is tricky it's keeping the spouse appeased.

Ah yes - how much were those plants?

Er, about $40 (and say in head very quietly ''... for the large pots". Thankfully they haven't died!

I can get another tank (and was thinking shell-dwellers or shrimp) as long as my time on tanks doesn't increase over all. So pretty lucky and trying to lay low on this planted tank. Still have to get a good shot of it now to compare.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:21 AM   #257
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
It's about 2bps on either side of tank so 4bps in total. I thought ph had gone lower but the rest of the family disagreed. I do run the canister filters part of the time co2 is on so think I lose a bit there. Ideally I'd have them off completely for co2 run time and on completely for filtering so have sort of compromised. It's probably something that could be set up better.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. I run my canister 24/7. That's about the bps I run too. Unfortunately I'm on soda stream bottles and I don't expect this one to last very long. We have a local brewery in fact that my mate works for. I wonder if I can get refills there? I'll have to ask.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #258
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 10,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Sorry I don't understand what you mean. I run my canister 24/7. That's about the bps I run too. Unfortunately I'm on soda stream bottles and I don't expect this one to last very long. We have a local brewery in fact that my mate works for. I wonder if I can get refills there? I'll have to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I've found the best pearling and lower ph when running CO2 is when the canisters are off (go figure ) but found the filters need to be on as much as possible to clear the water. It's all on some complex schedule I have that is on a file somewhere. I did start trying to re-map the various electrical cords tonight but gave up after 5 minutes. So will probably go back to plan B of just run the filters as much as possible and boost the CO2 as much as possible (sometimes I think it is like trying to inject CO2 into a sump).
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #259
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 10,492
Thought I'd post a before and after photo of re-planting. More change than I thought. Must clean some filters next week. The red alt doesn't look too pretty - I'm hoping that will get going better, it's still swapping over to life in this tank. The expensive new plants are behind the plane





__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #260
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I've found the best pearling and lower ph when running CO2 is when the canisters are off (go figure ) but found the filters need to be on as much as possible to clear the water. It's all on some complex schedule I have that is on a file somewhere. I did start trying to re-map the various electrical cords tonight but gave up after 5 minutes. So will probably go back to plan B of just run the filters as much as possible and boost the CO2 as much as possible (sometimes I think it is like trying to inject CO2 into a sump).

Yeah I see what you mean. To minimise this I turn the spray bar so it points a tad down Instead of a tad up. I get more co2 in the water that way. I'm just wondering how the bacteria respond to the lack of flow found through the canister? Perhaps it's not too bad if it's for a while but having the canister on would keep oxygen saturated water going through them. Just a thought.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Caliban07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, gallon, pool, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.