Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think so, tempted to try setting it all up and then eventually onto discus. It would be mostly driftwood - maybe 2 to 4ft long pieces which will take a bit to collect (and probably cost a bit!). No substrate plants. Er, maybe - need to look around a bit.

I know I can keep the tank cleaner with only a little gravel but it's going to be very bare without a lot of driftwood. Idk, seen anything like that? Most planted tanks I see have plants in substrate.

Nitrates were 40 (overdosed yesterday after pwc by getting measuring spoons confused) and phosphate was weird colour. Maybe 1ppm.

I did something similar, except I have a few Crypts and mini Swords here and there. Java Fern, Anubias, and Buce. Makes for a nice low light tank. Just combating some expected melting right now (not pictured), but maybe this will give you an idea. I used manzanita and some small spider wood pieces.

https://i.imgur.com/k4mpvok.jpg

It would be nice to do. Simple but maybe a lot of planning.

Looks like the stem plants have filled in a bit from last photo. The val has spread out more. Got a couple of flowers going as well. Still to find some time to try anything with seeds.

I think the nitrate dosing is making a difference. Hard to tell but I think plants seem to look a little better on colour maybe. It's all still growing anyways.

The hygro up the back I shall have to give up on I think. Not really doing much. Maybe the extra light is helping a little but not the best looking.

74564-albums13177-picture70851.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70852.jpg

Thanks everyone!

The large one up back is Aponogeton Crispus - didn't quite realize it would get that big :)
Still doing ok, keeps sending flowers out of tank.

Was trying for a bushy stem plant out of plane in centre but it kind of grew out of the plane and got away from me. So just mucking around with those. Intending to keep the top of tank clear as pretty congested now at bottom of tank for plants. Didn't quite realise java fern got that big either lol.

Tank is going ok with new bulbs still. GSA on glass seems to be mostly gone.

A third flower is up out of tank so I'm hopeful I might keep one of these alive past a water change :)

Only little bugbear is I think the red stem plants are growing better under the t5ho in centre and not the led light at back (which runs as 100% white light and 50% blue light). So getting a 'ridge' of red stem plants along centre of tank and slow growth it seems at back of tank. Planning to trim plants to same height and see if correct.

Fourth flower is up (gee, this plant is persistent). Did a water change today and hoping I arranged them ok to poke out of holes in tank covers. Fingers crossed.

Pretty quick water change and little bit of plant trimming. So nice when all the equipment is working and everything is mostly growing nicely without over-running the tank.

Pretty much humming along. The giant hygro looks like it has some shoots appearing down near base of stem so looks to be liking the new bulbs.

CO2 bottle has a slight habit of leaking unless well tightened but should be ok. Have to get spare bulbs this month so might ask lfs about it. The o-ring seems fine though as far as I can tell.

Plants are mostly ok, I think the nitrate dosing is starting to help. Algae low.

Flipping catfish has dislodged another piece of driftwood so got some glue to keep it in position with ornament. Might do that next weekend.

Love that it is in cruising mode!

Saw some beautiful Congo Tetras at the store and a couple were coloring up rest kinda younger. Though of you and how much they would add to my tank, but they are not on my priority list right now, but oh so tempting.

The congo tetras have been a great buy. Great colour to them.

Tested copper last night - nothing in tap or tank, maybe a touch in pool (had just added a block for algae prevention - will test again on weekend to see if test actually doing anything). Nitrates at 40 to 80ppm (more like 80) and phosphate maybe 5 to 10ppm (more like 10ppm but odd, dirty colour still). Going to skip dosing specifically for nitrate and phosphate this week and let them drop down.

Still got bits to do in tank to clean up and prune plants but algae pretty much under control so super happy. I think the depth of the tank might have prevented some issues with replacing all bulbs at once. Will go back to replacing two at a time as I was told to do :)

Ya know I just got a copper test kit last week. Worried about the tap water I use in some of my tanks. Copper was 0!!!
But...The ammonia is 1 and nitrates 20-40 right out of the tap. Yuk. I think Prime is doing the job of making it safe. Fingers crossed.

Gee, that is bad on tap water!

I've never got a result out of the copper test kit. I think I got it for when I was dosing micros more heavily than I thought. Will be interesting to see if the pool reads anything as that aims for somewhere below 1ppm according to the packet. I guess that works in combination with chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom