Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost wish I could get buffer solutions off the web to check test kits on. Too scared to find out though.. I've thought about this for ph as do have buffer solutions but they are coloured already so wouldn't work. :(

Almost wish I could get buffer solutions off the web to check test kits on. Too scared to find out though.. I've thought about this for ph as do have buffer solutions but they are coloured already so wouldn't work. :(

Is there no way of calibrating the kit as is possible to a certain extent with nitrate? Or are they strips?

At local auction to not buy anything...

So far bought plants - Bucephalandra (Godzilla and Wavy Leaf). Anyone kept these in general?

Sigh - impulse buys. I should of at least inspected more closely before auction started. A couple of plants look pretty cool on rocks. A couple that are really just too small and need growing out - probably be ok in a planted 20gallon. One is really just a twig - rest are better size.

But for some different plants I've never tried and I think I'll try glueing a couple to rocks. See how we go.

Awesome!!! I was going to tell you buy anything cool or a great deal, lol, I am so much help!

Buces are to be grown like Anubias. They can be rather expensive but a nearby amazing hobbyist says in co2, higher light they grow like crazy and he always has some very nice chunks, he collected them regionally in Pakistan near India I believe (how exciting to get to go do that). Wanting to pick some out later when I get my PRL tank up. Our auction for Cichlids is in a week and a half, we have many breeders of the Dwarf Cichlids around the area, so many likely to come to auction, so very tempting! Spring auction in a couple months, YAY!!! Will for sure be going to that one. :)

Any tips on growing? I was going to see if I can get some porous rock and have some aquarium glue already. The anubias is already on lava rock and one of the buces is also on some sort of porous rock disc (might see if hardware has more to do other one). Thinking of placing on centre ornament somewhere so they are not lost at substrate and get more light.

The other grass type plant doesn't have a good root system so thinking of just gluing a small pebble to help it stay put.

Was all a bit expensive (like hid the receipt) but I figured I've never grown these before. So really hoping the fish don't just eat them or run them over.

Any tips on growing? I was going to see if I can get some porous rock and have some aquarium glue already. The anubias is already on lava rock and one of the buces is also on some sort of porous rock disc (might see if hardware has more to do other one). Thinking of placing on centre ornament somewhere so they are not lost at substrate and get more light.

The other grass type plant doesn't have a good root system so thinking of just gluing a small pebble to help it stay put.

Was all a bit expensive (like hid the receipt) but I figured I've never grown these before. So really hoping the fish don't just eat them or run them over.

I always take stashed cash along to limit the $$$ :whistle: on the CC receipt.

There are 3 Buce in my tanks one tiny one a river pebble, one loose one which got knocked out of the breeder basket when I bumped it off the lip of the aquarium and the nice large sized one which just got from our club meeting mini auction, 6-7 inches, not very many nice leaves (some have yellowing or holes), but a flower spathe and a mass of roots. Will be attaching it to a Cholla wood stick, likely with string. In case the DW I am looking at buying is actually going to be mine from bidding on an online auction... to be continued.

Since they "grow slowly" in lower light, where they are living in nature, and in my tanks, they can get the algae issues with high light, so I would put them wherever your Anubias aren't having algae issues. Maybe take a small sip and place it higher and watch the comparison of growth.

Good ideas, I'll give this a go.

I found some ceramic BBQ briquettes at hardware store and attached buce to that. It looked quite porous so hopefully good for roots but on the flip side it stands out as a cream colour. I'm hoping the plant will completely cover it.

I was thinking of lava rock but have found BBA likes dark, volcanic rocks so decided to try this.

Cleared some room and wish I had got the red lotus now but guess I'll see how the grasses go there.

Not dosing any glut to let it all settle.

The anubias on lava rock I found a spot on the wing behind the plane ornament which nicely hides the rock. Can just see it lol so fingers crossed.

Speaking of lava rock.....I used to use it. Then switched to pumice. Delapool I know your not in usa. But here we can often find it for cleaning grills. Great bio capabilities as well.

Thanks, I'll check out for that as well.

The plants all seem to be holding from last night and not getting eaten.

Ok so good news and bad news.

Another yoyo loach got out when the feeding cover was off and lost it. So jaded with this. About once every few weeks I leave a gap somewhere and every several months I have a new loach lost to this. Debating on getting more one more time or getting khuli loaches.

GSA back on the glass. It's always on the lower glass where the t5ho hits it so once a week I have to clean. Not a big pain but thought I was over it.

New plants are going fine except one that detached from gravel AFTER lights and covers back on. Might just see how it goes for a week floating around.

Did a water change and threw out some perfectly good plants :) Nice strings of val, super red stem plants, java fern plantlets - off to the bin to open up tank. Two java fern plants were quite big so I put in the small tank. Water tests tonight to see if phosphate and nitrates are coming down.

Back
Top Bottom