Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wowsie, that is the best pic yet with the best flower. Love how you got it just about all the way open and then open. I HAVE to get one now for sure.

Great job getting just the right flower crack there in the top!!! lol!

Thanks! It's got a second flower stem heading up so looks to be recovering well.

Some of the java fern has come loose so have to sort out on weekend. Been pretty busy so hoping to get some time this weekend.

Test results:

API nitrates 20ppm and phosphate 1ppm. Noticing more GSA so increasing phosphate to see if that helps.

Noticed a lot of muck on the edges of the PAR meter window so got some cotton buds and cleaned it several times. Seems to have helped!

Early Jan - 139 (at surface, under T5HO).

Late April - 110 (at surface, under T5HO).

(which would give ~80% drop in 4 months if I believe this set of numbers).

Last edited:
So I've read a bit more!
This is a great thread, I'm not much into planted tanks as you know, but I like that par graph way back at the start.
Dude, you've got a lot of lights! Interesting stuff.......
Blah blah, oh fish, the markings on that loach are A1! Very nice indeed.
The flower head is cool! Worth the effort alone. It's nice reading, so I'll be back.

Another flower stem has popped up on the new aponogetons :) Bit small but gee, growth rate in inches per day. Shame really I don't have the tank set up for them to grow nicely. They also tend to dry out very quickly during water changes but nice to get them.

Lots of lights :) Another guy I know was running two quad t5ho on same depth tank (2.5 ft) but has swapped to Chinese lights and is doing well.

Slow growth but some signs of progress.
14th May.
74564-albums13177-picture71155.jpg

4th April.
74564-albums13177-picture71097.jpg

Thanks, I keep telling myself it is going to take time to come back and I wanted slow growth but ...

The aponogeton has bounced back nicely. Hopefully the rest can get some height soon at the back.

Still tempted on a red lotus plant but so far have run out of room.

Thanks, I keep telling myself it is going to take time to come back and I wanted slow growth but ...

The aponogeton has bounced back nicely. Hopefully the rest can get some height soon at the back.

Still tempted on a red lotus plant but so far have run out of room.

Slow growth is the best! For some people, of course. Sometimes you need a mix of fast and slow. The tank is looking nice though! I'd steer away from the tiger lotus, unless you want to keep up with it. I've heard that they can go wild!

Too true - it's just the slow start getting me lol :( So nice doing water changes though.

Thanks for the tip on the lotus. I saw it at auction and was very tempted.

Still got a few issues, mainly I think from using plants that survived the furan 2. The stem plants have quite narrow stems but the new growth looks better so once re-planted should be fine. Java fern is getting new plantlets so seems more happy and recovering (still got some left-over ones in small tank in case).

One of the buce might bounce back, the other has GSA which came in after the planting. The anubias did as well but new growth is looking good. Um, I know fish are still in there as my new foreground plants are getting eaten out but they were a gift anyways.

Upped the minimum ph level on the ph controller that controls CO2 injection tonight. Noticed the tetras didn't seem very interested in food.

Oddly I don't remember setting it that low so going to check it again this week just in case it is doing something strange.

A pair of angelfish have well, paired up and busy cleaning one of the leaves. They have a real blind spot to the tetras watching with interest but the loaches and other angelfish have been herded to the other side of tank.

The tank depth I think helps them ignore each other a bit as not much plant mass. Before the angelfish could just sink into the jungle to escape.

Last edited:
Finally caught the betta (in small tank) taking pellets that made it to bottom of tank. For months he has been trying to convince me he doesn't see any of these and needs more floating ones. (And that these are hard to spot as well - only betta I've had that seems to stalk food pellets as well before a final rush).

He shot up to his feeding corner but too late!! Now I know he can find them.

Quiet weekend. Was up a little early and decided to try the "hose-draining to bath tub" again. Set it up, hose still pinched but flow was ok so had breakfast. Was thinking of getting a cup of coffee when I thought to check tank and found two-thirds of it had drained!! I had set the pipe at 1/3 but it dropped down :( Next time will sit it on an ornament. Felt a bit guilty on not watering lawn but it had been raining and it was so easy!! Replanted stem plants and cleaned filter so Kind-of still saved time :)

That's a great idea - I'll check out the hardware store. One of the buce came off the disc so debating on giving it another go or just letting it float around for a bit. Pretty algae covered so might just let it float. The other one seems to be recovering but growth is sooooo slow :(.

So the buce that was floating around has vanished so undecided on putting something in the spot it was planted.

A day of tank readings. Nitrates from API was 5ppm and phosphates 2ppm ( both from night before). Not sure if the API one is under-reading but guess I had just done a big water change.

Today the CO2 probe had 6.7 and ph pen was 6.9 so seems ok given had CO2 running at time.

Found a good spot for the JBL PROSCAN now with no shadows so got the readings below quick as.

Did get a PAR reading but I think the meter wasn't quite under lights properly. Shame as spent ages cleaning off algae.

Back
Top Bottom