Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really neeed to get some of those plants!!!.

They would go great in an open tank. Can pay quite a bit for them here but seem to do well.

Is the calcium supplemented or is it from source water?

I dose about a teaspoon or two a week to boost it a bit. Been dosing for maybe 9 months but hadn't used the test kit much. Meant to go from pink to purple but just seems to go from light blue to medium blue to me.

Last edited:
Pruned some of the aponogeton and I'm starting to think I tried to jam plants for 5ft of tank space into a 4ft tank...

Definitely can't fit any more plants in. [emoji30]A few Java Fern plantlets ended up in back of tank so got rid of them and pruned the bolbitis again. Just snipped off some leaf tops where it was spreading towards the front. Not sure if it likes that or not.

The aponogeton leaves are 3ft plus, would be great to have a 4ft tank to show them off better. Will grab a photo next week.

Pruned some of the aponogeton and I'm starting to think I tried to jam plants for 5ft of tank space into a 4ft tank...

Definitely can't fit any more plants in. [emoji30]A few Java Fern plantlets ended up in back of tank so got rid of them and pruned the bolbitis again. Just snipped off some leaf tops where it was spreading towards the front. Not sure if it likes that or not.

The aponogeton leaves are 3ft plus, would be great to have a 4ft tank to show them off better. Will grab a photo next week.

That would be lovely to see them in a beter perspective of what they normally would be in full heights...but you would never be able to clean the bottom!!!

I spent a little time looking at the bulbs and plant starts of these guys thinking about a purchase but I do not have the best spot in the tank until I rescape. Really wanting a Crinum Calamistratum, or other Crinum. Crinum thaianum is the same problem gets 5-6 foot leaves.

I keep a small amount of American Vals Americana aka Eel Grass and they have a great pooling effect at the top of the tank when growing well. Wiki says "with the ability to rise two or more meters above the clustered base of the plant".

The Bolbitis doesn't mind a trim at all.

Hmmm, the rule is just one display tank here - nothing about the size :fish2:

That would be incredible to have the tank to show that all off (maybe I'll just plan it out).

The Crinums do sound very nice!

With pruning Bolbitis is there any best way? I'm just cutting off the leaf tops at the moment as bit of a tangle to find the leaf stem. It seems to be going ok in my gravel / fluorite substrate - has been suggested I might get more height (would grow better) on driftwood so still thinking.

I always trimmed the rhizhome as mine was in a 12G tank and it needed to stay on the wood. It was pretty darned awesome looking. (One of my favorite tank designs) Pic wasn't really show quality but it looks cool
60074-albums13090-picture68690.jpg

Thanks - that looks great! It doesn't seem to mind the pruning so far and I just can't have it spreading sideways :(

In other (late) news the buce plant that vanished off the disc has reappeared and actually doing well. Only an inch still but roots are almost an inch long and leaves not too bad + floating around right way up. Then I got the net and it had vanished so hoping it shows up again!

Trying the same trick on the other buce which is not really doing well. Pulled it off the ceramic disc (mostly just pulled off glue) and put it back in tank. Sink or swim..

The micro-measuring spoons turned up. Look pretty good. Just remembered there is still the nitrate test kit on order somewhere - will have to find out what is going on.

Whoo-hoo!! Nitrate test kit turned up. Not excited? Yet to see what $233 buys (and it only does nitrates too lol). Opened the case, had a look and will try it on week-end.

Yep - possibly got carried away :) but hoping to sort out my API test which I think under reads compared to JBL. Get the dosing right for plants but as low as possible for fish (that was my excuse). The quality of test kits is an ongoing discussion here.

Last edited:
Interesting about the Buce.

Similar story here, I have a start of a Buce with the teeny tiniest leaves one pretty much needs a magnifying glass to see which does the disappearing act, 2x now. Presently MIA. lol.

I have 3 very small freebies that came from the Aquascaping conference awhile back, they were in a ziplock bag with a couple tablespoons of water - for weeks now and 2 which are near the window are doing alright and one fell off the table (didn't notice it right away) and it was looking a bit pale. Can't believe they are still alive :)

Now what about that new tester you got in the mail?!? Wowzie! It better work flawlessly (after you get all the particulars figured out). If it is easy to use, you can save time over the years (hopefully). Maybe enough to make up for the cost - maybe :)

Hope it works too! The worse thing is it only lasts for year but if the API and JBL tests are ok will go back to them. Just not quite convinced on them - sometimes API will say 5ppm and JBL says 50ppm nitrates. Was going to get another API test kit but realised that might not help lol.

Will take some pictures of kit.

Looked at the test kit - read the 'simplicity in action' header. Got up to step 3 and then got a little lost. Think I have it to try tomorrow.

Takes 15 minutes just on letting different reactions and colours. Would do it over coffee but the warnings on cadmium seemed very strict so going to be very careful. Possibly gloves and face mask.

Also saw this little double flower today while cleaning tank.

9927e1786a93c279e2b76cfe3dd2df81.jpg

Back
Top Bottom