Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice have 4 of them i think still lol only seen 3 so far an hardly see them

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

:( I think I need 4 just to see 1.

Big waste of aquarium stocking weight for me. I like the fish just never see it. No more impulse society buys for me!

I love the pics in the progression of the BB advance to the BN's wafer!!! He looks fat indeed. No worry he's starving at least. Have similar situation with my Spotted Raphael Cat (She's HUGE now, haha 3" catfish says the lfs - before I knew better than to trust their comments).

Anyway, LOVE the pics.

Lol - sometimes I think bottom dwelling fish are the most interesting :)

The underwater lights arrived. For the price it's a cheap experiment to see if they cause algae. But hopefully will help plants.

I'm not sure how they will look in tank viewing wise. I still like the idea of spotlights shining towards the back of tank (so no visible glare) but will try these on the weekend.

Aquarium LED Light 30 40 50 60 CM Submersible Fish Tank Coral AU Plug | eBay

Nice, good luck with your lights lol. What kind of lights do you run currently?

Last edited by a moderator:
Main lights are a quad t5ho that sits directly on the tank stand now. Light intensity is fine for the first foot down the tank, after that a bit weak. So will see if these underwater lights make a difference even though they are fairly low par I'd imagine.

White LED underwater lights are set up ok. Glare is reasonable. PAR is the same as the dual t5ho from a foot away. But these are a lot closer to the plants (with slow growth) and extend all the way to the substrate. So hopeful.

Only thing is they are very poor in red light. Might not be much difference between their blue and white led lights.

Will see how they go! Fingers crossed on algae.

74564-albums14484-picture69947.gif

Tank - all lights
74564-albums14484-picture69948.jpg

Tank - underwater lights only
74564-albums14484-picture69949.jpg

I read an interesting thread about attenuation coefficients or the exponential law of attenuation causing higher PAR intensities when the light travels through water. I always thought this would be the opposite (more intensity in air). Also there seems to be some evidence to support that you can quantify par and watts. Unfortunately, the scientific links provided no longer work. Definitely worth a bookmark though. I love these threads.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-light-tank-below-plant-compensation-point.15129/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I read an interesting thread about attenuation coefficients or the exponential law of attenuation causing higher PAR intensities when the light travels through water. I always thought this would be the opposite (more intensity in air). Also there seems to be some evidence to support that you can quantify par and watts. Unfortunately, the scientific links provided no longer work. Definitely worth a bookmark though. I love these threads.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-light-tank-below-plant-compensation-point.15129/

Many thanks - that's all pretty interesting. I'll keep this to have a look through the links later.

I have noticed since lowering the light onto the tank I'm getting better pearling (which in my case is anything) across the tank. This is only a few inches lower so it could well be that it is just cutting out the reflection of the glass top and I can believe reflection can be quite significant inside/outside tank.

I'm convinced the catfish are having a go at the stems of the red alt at the base. Two floated up this week. The stems don't really look rotted and they seem to be doing better with several stems planted together.

So I'm thinking of getting some more and planting densely to stop catfish swimming through and head off some light algae growth in the stems near the substrate.

Thanks very much :). A lot of work up and down the ladder but I think that is working well now.

Picked up some more red alt on the weekend and planted. Not the greatest from the store but fingers crossed. I've also been a bit slack with the ferts dosing schedule and I think the plants are not quite happy.

A wider shot of the tank and furniture. I'd love to have the hood on the tank to cut down glare but don't miss taking it on and off.

74564-albums13177-picture70034.jpg

Looking good Dela. I like how you chose a plant pot to match the co2 cylinder ?

Is the glare distracting?

Nice pic could you tell me how I can up load my pics don't know on this site cheers Taffy.

I know, I know - I was looking at the bottle and the plant pot too :) The store looked around for a better colour but no luck. Funny place - it's a craft store with scrap-booking next to home brewing.

Usually for photos I'll switch half the lights off. The glare is a lot less with the light sitting on the tank rim now but the hood would just cut out the reflection off the water. But still ok as is, looks worse in the photos maybe.

The new red alt is still there. Very green leaves and really just a stem with a couple of leaves so I'm not sure how it will go.

The older ones I re-planted had hardly any root development. Not sure if that is normal or not. So slow going.

The underwater lights are getting a little algae but going ok. Possibly not doing much. Still happy with them. Eventually if I swap to discus I'd still like to try underwater spotlights - maybe onto a huge piece of driftwood.

Looks like I've been slack on recording test measurements. Boring stuff below.

Nitrates tonight were 5 to 10ppm. Maybe 5ppm.

Phosphates were 2 to 3ppm. Maybe a little higher.

Pretty sure I tested a few weeks back and nitrates were around 20ppm and phosphates around 1ppm. Had increased the phosphates dosing so that worked. Started double dosing the nitrates tonight.

Guessing if I clean the other canister filter out on the weekend nitrates will sink lower if I don't keep up dosing.

Latest plant list:

Ambulia.
Hygrophila polysperma.
Vallisneria.
Alternanthera reineckii (red alt).
Melon Swords and Java Ferns.

Last edited:
Busy day :)

Picked up some java fern and pogo pumilus after pulling out a lot of hygro and ambulia. Must of spent about 4 hours redoing the tank and cleaning the canister filters.

Hoping to get photos up tomorrow. Very cloudy in the tank still now.

Nice! Oh those hours we spend.

Looking forward to picks. We're the plants in good condition? Do they come from a high co2 environment?

Nice! Oh those hours we spend.

Looking forward to picks. We're the plants in good condition? Do they come from a high co2 environment?

Could of spent a lot longer in there :)

It was an extra 20 minute drive but definitely worth it. Three big tanks of plants and the guys helped out with suggestions so I grabbed a few other plants as well. I think they are grown immersed from discussion last time. No CO2.

Picked up two t5ho bulbs (pinks) and it was suggested better quality bulbs could last for up to two years. Now that the plants have been pruned back I'm hoping to get another par reading as well and see if any light decay on the existing bulbs.

I've heard bulbs last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years now. Be nice to know.

Very nice! Just picked up some Fissidins mat, scared to though, haven't had any luck with mosses

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful looking tank :) love the Angel's stunning!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

Back
Top Bottom