Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #61
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'll email Seneye tomorrow and just ask them on accuracy of the device maybe? Low PAR seems to fit with what I'm seeing but maybe something else is a problem.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #62
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Oops, haven't gotten around to seeing how the light meter reviews and what-not.

The USB 15m extension turned up. This is really a telephone cable with two USB to cable attachments at either end so ......

But it is working and readings are downloading. Pics up in a tick of tank lights.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #63
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I looked back and bought the light in September last year so bulbs are not that old. The readings seem to make sense in that I'd expect the reds to do worse. Maybe I need a dual x quad T5HO

Light readings for quad T5HO. One foot below surface.

2 x SuperSun 12,000K (blues) that came with it.

2 x GroLux (reds)
Old 02-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #64
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

And below for the LED lights!!

160220 Light_Hydroponics_reds

160220 Light_Reef_All

160220 Light_Reef_Blue

160220 Light_Reef_White
Old 02-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #65
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It's interesting some of the light readings.

The hydroponics LED spectrum (grey/white line) matches theoretical plant preference (thick coloured line) the best but to my eye it is very strong in red light and doesn't look natural. I did buy it for the red light to balance out the reef led light.

The LED reef blue light spectrum makes sense with what I can see for bulb colour.

Before I swapped to the quad T5HO I was running the hydroponics red light in centre of tank plus a reef light (white light only) on either side.

Looks like the plants were getting 300 PAR roughly!! That would explain why I was above EI dosing for potassium. Along with the weekly trimming and death by BBA.

Now I'm down to a tenth of that.

Not sure on the next step. I could lower the T5HO to sit directly on tank or add a one foot T5HO I have and test that (on right side of tank).

The left side and back of tank are going well. Nothing very flash for plants but they are growing fine.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #66
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Added the one foot dual T5HO but I don't think it is adding much. Pondering now. I thought the house was a bottomless pit to spend money on
Old 02-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry dela. I'm not quite sure where we're at with these charts at the moment. Can you break it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #68
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Lol - I've gone a bit mad with testing.

Looks like with the LEDs I had extreme over-kill with light PAR. Lots of problems but everything grew so quick it was hidden a bit.

Now I have poor light with the T5HO's. The readings are only roughly halfway down tank depth as well. This may also be the Perspex tank covers and my light is low quality with one reflector not helping I guess.

But no algae!! And most of the tank has been swapped over to plants that work.

In the right side of tank I'm trying an additional dual T5HO (one foot long).

I'm thinking either increase light intensity (has been suggested) or increase light period (on 7 or 8 hours at moment)? These seem to be my choices.

I guess plants need a certain light intensity to grow?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:14 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Lol - I've gone a bit mad with testing.

Looks like with the LEDs I had extreme over-kill with light PAR. Lots of problems but everything grew so quick it was hidden a bit.

Now I have poor light with the T5HO's. The readings are only roughly halfway down tank depth as well. This may also be the Perspex tank covers and my light is low quality with one reflector not helping I guess.

But no algae!! And most of the tank has been swapped over to plants that work.

In the right side of tank I'm trying an additional dual T5HO (one foot long).

I'm thinking either increase light intensity (has been suggested) or increase light period (on 7 or 8 hours at moment)? These seem to be my choices.

I guess plants need a certain light intensity to grow?

According to Tom bar 40 PAR uniform at substrate level is enough for beginners and veterans alike. Plants can go lower but probably not many. Sometimes I think we underestimate light. Plants do better with good amounts of it. I remember I had dwarf hairgrass under 2 T8 tubes at a depth of about 18 inches, no co2. I didn't know about this plant at the time. It didn't grow quickly and old growth died off but it was still sprouting new shoots up from the gravel! Crazy.

I would have thought T5HO would be enough to be honest? I'm now running two of these myself with reflectors under the same depth and I'm getting good growth with co2. Still think I need more for the hairgrass though. It will probably grow, it's just growing slow.

What problems were you having? I know that most people go straight for light when the are having problems but they completely ignore co2. I frequent one other forum and it's the opposite. They are obsessed with carbon and attribute the majority of problems in planted tanks to inadequate and/or poor distribution of co2.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #70
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Delapool's 150 gallon tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
According to Tom bar 40 PAR uniform at substrate level is enough for beginners and veterans alike. Plants can go lower but probably not many. Sometimes I think we underestimate light. Plants do better with good amounts of it. I remember I had dwarf hairgrass under 2 T8 tubes at a depth of about 18 inches, no co2. I didn't know about this plant at the time. It didn't grow quickly and old growth died off but it was still sprouting new shoots up from the gravel! Crazy.

I would have thought T5HO would be enough to be honest? I'm now running two of these myself with reflectors under the same depth and I'm getting good growth with co2. Still think I need more for the hairgrass though. It will probably grow, it's just growing slow.

What problems were you having? I know that most people go straight for light when the are having problems but they completely ignore co2. I frequent one other forum and it's the opposite. They are obsessed with carbon and attribute the majority of problems in planted tanks to inadequate and/or poor distribution of co2.

Yes, I thought this t5 would do better as well. I'm guessing that if I'm getting 34 par a foot down, it's going to be dismal another foot down to substrate but it is something I could test as well.

My problem is slow growth until plants get a foot high. Then they take off. Plants less than a foot high don't really get good root development or decent growth for ages.

I've noticed an improvement in running quad lights compared to dual lights.

I've been told I should swap back to LEDs and hook up the second CO2 bottle but that's all a bit too expensive at the moment.

CO2 is I would say low as well as I've only ever seen pearling on the side of the tank closest to the co2 diffuser.

So I'm guessing I need to lift co2 and light but not as high as before.

Or just get discus as they would be cheaper....

So summary -

Plants have poor growth until they get a foot high.

Par looks low.

CO2 is probably low as well though is my suspicion.

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, gallon, pool, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com