Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Work in yard - get "go to fish store" reward!

Also I will need to wait it out until you set up a (great idea) auto water changer system and share all your secrets ;) now that you have shifted!

Quick water change this weekend.

I confess I think lights are too high but nice to the Anubias flowering just about straight away and the bolbitis has a dozen fronds well developed. I’m going to try not dosing any micro ferts at all and see how they go. Keep potassium and phosphate up. Guess I’ll have to dose nitrate as not many fish in tank.

Bit more settled - working on the backyard over Easter as it cools down here. One last RC air con to go in some stage.

So back to thinking of restocking fish. The bolbitis fern is doing well and making a good comeback.

Much less algae just running the t5ho and no LED. I did try a par calculator and it come out at 34PAR at substrate so could be about right. Tempted to run the LED slightly but the plants don’t really need. And less GSA on the Anubias.

Tempted to look for high plants without big roof systems.

Also tempted on spanner barbs again. They kind of get too much for the rams, etc though. Not aggressive but they never died wondering if there was some food somewhere. So maybe some other barbs. Would love to try tetras again but seem unlucky with them.

Sounds like things are moving along slow and steady. Personally with that awesome tank, you need a big big fish. Something that is going to look you in the eye when you offer sacrificial victims.

My Congo Tetra babies are bigger than Neons now and some are getting that beautiful tail and finnage!!! Just thought I would mention them, ;)

Glad to hear the monster bolbitis has recovered nicely from the big trim.

Also good to hear about the the algae problem being reined in. Who'd of thought a light was causing that extra algae, lololol! (sorry couldn't help it) Seriously though, it IS nice to fix a problem like a plague algae.

I'm getting Diatoms in my new SW (not exactly algae but exacerbated by extra light as well). Because I forgot I had already left the light on a specific spot earlier in the day and them put it on again over night. And BOOM out break the day after. Kinda like weeds after a rain storm. Right conditions and outta control.

Purple Emperor Tetras are pretty beautiful.

And my other favorite is Neon Green (or Yellow) Microdevario Kubotai Rasbora. They get a gorgeous / striking lavender to blue color across their upper body above their lateral neon green colored line.

The nice thing about these guys is that they are so active and flash around the top 1/4 (for the most part, maybe 1/3rd) of the aquarium and epitomize the word flashy!
this pic has the blue light in the upper body
Kubotai Rasbora (Microdevario kubotai), Tank-Bred

Big Rummy Nose shoal

You're using CO2 right? How does using that affect the light time/intensity.

I haven't used CO2 yet and I have a book about planted tanks and it explains it (I get the gist of it just not the actual usage of it), just haven't read it.

As in up the bubble count to counter act more intense light (up to a point or kill off your fish)???

After not wanting to use the glutaraldehyde gallon I bought (now a long time ago), it seems at some point I will want to set this up to get better plant growth with some other types of plants. I am definitely not a high light use advocate, mostly because it increases algae. hehe

Since my style of tank is more wild looking, I have been able to skate by without the CO2 and still enjoy my tanks.

Why do you chose to use it? I would guess for one thing you have a deep tank and need a strong light. ( Trying to learn more and I have an extra light to use on my 72G which I haven't because I don't want more algae :) ) Not an urgent question, if you can answer when you have time please... Thank you.

It’s interesting - mainly as I still have strong light as you say and if I dose CO2 as another fert in excess than one less thing to worry about. I think good flow really helps on these larger tanks as well.

Just ordered some small measuring spoons to get back into regular ferts dosing again (or try to).

I think the ph probe helps as it just cuts off at low ph (hopefully before gassing fish!), I can just set and forget a bit.

So I found a ‘pinch’ spoon and have put that on tank and just dosing at feeding time now. So far pretty regular and not having to remember to do it later that night. Bolbitis looks a bit starved so hope to test water end of this week and see if ok now or increase.

The high light plants are looking a bit grim. I’d still like to get a second timer to run the led light just for an hour or two (probably grab next time in hardware).

Funny sounding to have a "pinch" spoon! But I know what you mean!

Feed those plants ferts and light as needed until they are happy!

The timer is a nice idea.

Who knew these were real terms! I think there is a ‘smidge’ and other ones.

I must admit - running just the t5ho with mainly pink bulbs, I’m getting minimal algae. I wonder previously if the fast growing stem plants were out-competing the algae for ferts when I was running both lights. Thinking second light for just an hour or two.

f7c7beabfbe07fd5681bb6a9921abc54.jpg

So been a while of not doing much and took a photo while doing a water change.

Readings of less than 5ppm nitrate (might explain the unhappy bolbitis) and 0.5ppm phosphate (test kit expired ages ago yikes!).

Bought a timer to run the second light for short periods but not really seeing the need. The t5ho doing the job for the ferns and Anubias. Still dreaming of getting to a fish shop when funds permit.

On the good news side, zero GSA on glass since turning off second light. Minimal green algae on glass.

Back
Top Bottom