Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #81
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Very interesting! I had discussed this a little elsewhere and these were two threads I found on the subject. Hmm, food for thought. It is nice to see the tank on in the morning but not essential.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/142652-lighting-siesta.html#/forumsite/20495/topics/142652?page=1

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/general-plant-topics/4901-split-photo-period-siesta-pros-cons

Old 02-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The split photo is, in my experience a better method for preventing algae growth. Not really just for CO2 to build up, though I can see the thoughts behind that reasoning. Algae needs a longer photo period so the shorter length helps prevent it from multiplying/growing.

As far as the benefit for a high tech set up I can see it as a benefit for not growing algae. But as mentioned so eloquently by Caleb, if the levels are balanced with everything, maybe not necessary. Nice bit of info Caleb.

Siesta works great in a low to medium light, planted no tech tank set up with low to medium low use of ferts (letting the fish do a bunch of the work there with liberal feeding and good filtration) in my experience from the algae point of view. I can have my lights on for 12+ hours no algae issues. Though not the type of tank set up Delapool has.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:55 AM   #83
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Keeps the cichlid people amused here I think There are just enough of us planted tank people to be dangerous.

Well, I'm pretty happy with algae being under control so I might keep that one in the back pocket for the moment. Re-test the ph probe first and chart the ph drop and rise perhaps.

Actually the Seneye Reef should do that as it has ph on it - I'd just need to find a power-point.

Also looking into underwater lights - anyone tried these?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Delapool's 150 gallon tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
The split photo is, in my experience a better method for preventing algae growth. Not really just for CO2 to build up, though I can see the thoughts behind that reasoning. Algae needs a longer photo period so the shorter length helps prevent it from multiplying/growing.

As far as the benefit for a high tech set up I can see it as a benefit for not growing algae. But as mentioned so eloquently by Caleb, if the levels are balanced with everything, maybe not necessary. Nice bit of info Caleb.

Siesta works great in a low to medium light, planted no tech tank set up with low to medium low use of ferts (letting the fish do a bunch of the work there with liberal feeding and good filtration) in my experience from the algae point of view. I can have my lights on for 12+ hours no algae issues. Though not the type of tank set up Delapool has.

Thanks Autumn but I haven't seen caleb on here for while now 😂

Again I don't know how much truth is in the claim about algae needing longer photoperiods. I suppose they do in a way as light is the main driver for algae because they need so little of the other things. Like Mr Barr says. Plants use light to make food for storage and growth whereas algae are single cell organisms who live for the here and now...light.

All I know is that algae falls back when plants are healthy. If you have healthy plants then your success may have nothing to do with the siesta period. Or maybe your plants are healthier because of the higher levels of carbon? If you remove the siesta period, longer light exposes the lack of carbon, plants become unhealthy and so algae ensues so is this excess light or lack of carbon. I know what Tom would say and it would almost definitely be lack of carbon. People think that those of who blub on about carbon are exaggerating but we are not. The point is not that increasing carbon directly smashes algae in to oblivion but more so that it increases plant health which reduces algae.

There are hundreds of thousands of species of algae yet we only see the same handful in our aquariums, why? Because these are the ones that can exploit this niche where we have presented conditions favourable to algae and this is normally when there is lots of decaying matter that is broken down by bacteria releasing nutrients in to the water. Why is there lots of decaying matter? If your plants are dying they lose leaves decay. Algae ALWAYS attacks older dying leaves first. Keeping you tank clean and free of organic matter and debris and providing your plants with unlimited nutrients, ample co2 and adequate light in my opinion drives algae away and this can be done in low tech tanks without a siesta. But can be done with one too so is it necessary and are there any real benefits? Again there is no evidence to support it but no evidence to say it does any harm. Definitely not required in a co2 injected tank.

Edit: decaying plants releasing nutrients may not be accurate but rather chemical triggers during this breakdown that induce algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #85
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Checked the ph probe (last calibrated around Christmas) and was pretty much bang on for 7 and 4 used for calibration. Read a little low on a buffer solution of 10 but pretty happy there.

One guy I know that is against the siesta said he got more algae with it. Hard to know there if that was actual cause though I guess. His other argument was it doesn't happen in nature but I just came across another thread that talks about the skies going dark with midday thunderstorms. So I gave up. The consensus seems to be no impact either way for co2 injected tanks if I read everything correctly.

I agree plant health is key.

Under the LEDs I used to trim a stem plant and replant the top. The bottom would reshoot and I'd do that maybe once or twice more before the stem plant was lost to algae, rotting out, etc. Constant pinholes in lower leaves but growth was so rampant that I was throwing out handfuls of trimmed plants.

The new growth was fine. Old growth was attacked by algae but I had the plants thick enough to discourage that a bit as well.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Checked the ph probe (last calibrated around Christmas) and was pretty much bang on for 7 and 4 used for calibration. Read a little low on a buffer solution of 10 but pretty happy there.

One guy I know that is against the siesta said he got more algae with it. Hard to know there if that was actual cause though I guess. His other argument was it doesn't happen in nature but I just came across another thread that talks about the skies going dark with midday thunderstorms. So I gave up. The consensus seems to be no impact either way for co2 injected tanks if I read everything correctly.

I agree plant health is key.

Under the LEDs I used to trim a stem plant and replant the top. The bottom would reshoot and I'd do that maybe once or twice more before the stem plant was lost to algae, rotting out, etc. Constant pinholes in lower leaves but growth was so rampant that I was throwing out handfuls of trimmed plants.

The new growth was fine. Old growth was attacked by algae but I had the plants thick enough to discourage that a bit as well.

Haha. That link with the thunderstorms causes such a furore over on ukaps. It's a company trying to sell something apparently.

I think some of the problem can be caused by where the plants come from and how they are kept. If the plants you buy are kept in high light high co2 conditions then the chances of them taking lightly to conditions lesser in terms of co2 and light are slim. I have some alternanthera reinekii that I placed in my tank when I got the co2 injection system. Because of the leak I had with the regulator it was about 6 days before I could get co2 in properly. It's been just over a week now with co2 injection and the plant has only just recovered, sometimes it can take longer. All the bottom half leaves of the plant are dead but the top is healthy. Soon enough I will trim the stem and replant the top discarding the bottoms. I would then expect new grow to grow without fault. I'll post some pics tomorrow of pre co2 post co2 growth. Hairgrass is now sending up new shoots. My co2 comes in 3 hours before lights on and goes off 5 hours in to a 8 hour photoperiod.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #87
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes, getting plants off to a good start helps but I find mine all have to adjust. The red alt here is still trying to get going.

Now I'm more fussy on what I buy and try to pop in when the latest plant delivery has arrived (or at least that is my excuse to bounce around fish shops on the weekend ).
Old 02-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #88
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

A couple of the latest snaps after weekend water change.

I filled up the kids pool first, then did a tank water change. I'm not sure if it was that or a pipeline repair somewhere but the tap water had a lot of gas in it. And maybe a bit of scum as well. The tank went quite cloudy for half an hour but even after clearing there were fine bubbles all over the tank.

Fish were all fine that night. I've never seen anything like it here.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #89
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Some more shots with the T5HO tank light lowered onto the tank. That reduces a lot of the glare coming off the tank top even though the drop is only 4 inches or so. Will be interesting to try with the light meter to see if any difference in PAR on the weekend.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It looks great!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, gallon, pool, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com