Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I'd post a before and after photo of re-planting. More change than I thought. Must clean some filters next week. The red alt doesn't look too pretty - I'm hoping that will get going better, it's still swapping over to life in this tank. The expensive new plants are behind the plane :(

74564-albums13177-picture70375.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70477.jpg

I like it. Be interesting to see how the stems develop and what things look like in another couple months (probably much less with stems).

My guess is that there's a lot of co2 consumption in this tank. You sure do enjoy your stems. They take too much work for my liking but they can really make a difference in a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know - I'm training myself out of stems. Way too much work. I'm trying to get either side as java fern with red alt growing through it. Then some larger plants at back. The ambulia, hygro and val (all the easy fast-growing ones) are just going to be a few here and there. That's the theory anyways. Have a few contacts now that I could get some local plants if these don't work.

It's getting there :) The Aponogeton Crispus looks like it has sent up a flower stem. Watching, waiting, hoping - lol, never been that excited on flowers before. Will post a pic if it does.

Haven't really had time to do much on lifting co2 sadly. Maybe tonight. Finished off some large water changes and cleaned internal filter. The driftwood had collapsed so reinserted it back in (so tempted to glue it).

Lol, got excited and thought there was a flower forming but it was just a leaf that had come off another plant and got stuck :)

It's so hard to get a sense of the size in the pics. 150 gallons, it must be huge!

I like the last pic with all the reds and the Congos and their accent of red. Very nice look in the tank.

The Java Fern with the red would look good but maybe shade the bottoms of the stems.

I wedged the roots of a Crypt to the upper area of my huge DW and it is actually grown onto the DW and has some great pink color because it is so much closer to the lights than ever was on the bottom!!! It was a plant I really didn't have a spot for and kinda just tucked it in and forgot about it until it started to get bigger. It grows between the Anubias Nana and the bigger one.

Your tank looks refreshed!

It's so hard to get a sense of the size in the pics. 150 gallons, it must be huge!

It's the depth that kills me. :)

I've had my nose on the waterline trying to reach in to get one more plant in the centre back of tank.

I like the last pic with all the reds and the Congos and their accent of red. Very nice look in the tank.

The Java Fern with the red would look good but maybe shade the bottoms of the stems.

I wedged the roots of a Crypt to the upper area of my huge DW and it is actually grown onto the DW and has some great pink color because it is so much closer to the lights than ever was on the bottom!!! It was a plant I really didn't have a spot for and kinda just tucked it in and forgot about it until it started to get bigger. It grows between the Anubias Nana and the bigger one.

Your tank looks refreshed!

Less cleaning for sure. That's a good idea on the crypt.

I'm not sure how the bottom will go. Bumped up CO2 last night to test and then if no death rattle in diffusers will try a small light increase.

It's the depth that kills me. :)

I've had my nose on the waterline trying to reach in to get one more plant in the centre back of tank.

Hahaha. Gonna need a snorkel for Christmas next time there is a big trim.

Hahaha. Gonna need a snorkel for Christmas next time there is a big trim.

Sounds a great idea :)

The extra co2 is making a difference. The ph is normally stuck around 6.7 with co2 on. Tonight it went down to around 6.35 before the ph controller switched it off. Will have to go and re-calibrate it, always thought the probe under-reads (meant to be at end of life but still works).

My pug sleeps 18 hours a day. Loachs and pugs must be related.

It is a tough life it seems :)

Nothing much to report. Trying to google a red-leaf stem plant called rubra (as listed by lfs) which is actually doing pretty well and much better than the red alt. Might have to go back to lfs and ask.

The flower stem was actually a flower stem according to locals but looked mangled on the end so slim hopes. Next time will direct it out of a gap in the covers so it comes out of the water.

Did some more PAR readings today and ended up turning on the second bank of the LED lights (blue channel) to 50% power and will see what happens with BBA. One thing I did learn is that ideally PAR readings should be taken before ornaments and plants go in. :) This is also all relative as the PAR readings seem to bounce around a bit.

For information the tank depth is 30inches with a quad t5ho and medium-cost LED strip light (white channel 100% power). The lights sit on the tank rim. PAR readings are:

PAR at 1ft depth (4 weeks ago) - 89.
PAR at 1ft depth (now) - 56.
PAR at 1ft depth (now & no surface ripples from canister filters) - 57.
PAR at 1ft depth (now, filters off and no PERSPEX cover) - 59.

PAR at 1inch depth (filters off and no PERSPEX cover) - from 100 to 150 moving around.

PAR at ~ 1 and a half feet - 17 (off to side).

PAR at 1ft depth (re-test after PERSPEX covers on) - 65 (sigh).

PAR at 1ft depth (added blue channel of LEDs on at 50%) - 76.

So perhaps the readings may be out by 25% but in general was as expected. It was surprising that the PERSPEX covers on/off didn't make more of a difference as these can get quite coated on condensation.

A second flower stem has also popped up so fingers crossed on this one :)

Second plant flower stem has almost reached water surface. This plant is determined! Fixed a few things that came apart during PAR testing (filter outlet popped off) and put stem where it can hopefully slot through a gap in tank cover.

Back
Top Bottom